I was wondering what your thoughts on tipping Dive Masters/Mates, Captains, etc. when you are on a dive. I have noticed on my last few dives that the Captains have been “reminding” us to tip.

So, do you tip? Always, never, sometimes and why or why not, please explain.
What is the proper tip amount? Who do you tip? Who don’t you tip?

I know tipping is very different from country to country so please state what area you are from.

I have somewhat mixed views on the subject myself. I feel it is a bit tacky for the Captain to remind us to tip. I understand they want to get the message across, so they should state that tips are appreciated on their paperwork somewhere, but I think making an announcement on the boat is a little overboard (pun intended).

When I was just beginning to dive, I always tipped the DM as I was new and usually needed help with something. Considering I used the DM’s services I felt a tip was appropriate. When my wife got certified and started to dive with me, I also tipped as she would need the help of the DM from time to time. Now that we have been diving together for as many dives as we have, we don’t want the help of the DM and usually don’t tip. Even when the DM is there waiting at the top of the dive ladder I always make it clear that the best way for them to help us is to stay out of our way. Of course if we ever need the help of the DM, if they go out of the way for us, or are especially nice, we do tip.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject.

Ace