Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why I Love Nitrox....

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Yep both right. Just all part of the Aussie lingo.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by scubapro25 View Post
    OK, things are a bit slow here today, so I thought I'd jumpstart the topic.

Feel free to agree/disagree........

1. Because I get longer bottom times

2. Less narcosis

3. And....have you heard this one before?

4. Less fatigue from residual nitrogen/non-symptomatic 'micro-bubbles' on a day of multi-diving.Mikey
    Mikey,

time to set you straight .......

1. You get longer no-stop bottom times and shorter decompression times when doing decompression dives but this is all still dependent on having sufficient gas to breathe. If you do not have enough gas all the no-stop time in the world will do you no good.

For example at 100 fsw you have no-stop time with EAN 32 of 40 minutes but it would take approx 140 cubic feet of gas to do a 40 minute square profile dive. .......

2. Less narcosis is a pure myth. While you may be reducing the nitrogen in the mix by displacing it with oxygen; oxygen has sufficient narcotic properties under pressure that the combined narcosis level of the oxygen and the nitrogen remain the same as if it were air.

3/4 If you conduct a dive of similar dive time as you would an air dive while breathing enriched air you will have less nitrogen load on board and as a result will have less fatigue. But a nitrox dive to the no-stop limit and an air dive to the no-stop limit has similar nitrogen load and hence similar fatigue load.

Hope this helps you out a bit. FYI reference the NOAA Diving Manual 4th Edition .... Nitrox section. (i wrote it)

cheers
    Joel Silverstein, VP COO
    Tech Diving Limited - Everything Tech
    Scuba Diving Limited - Everything Rec
    New Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    5. Cause after a hard night on the turps when you wake up with a killer hangover an 80 mix in the deep end of the pool relieves it much quicker than a pack of berrocca
    I second that one
    NITROGEN NARCOSIS IS FOR CHRISTMAS - OXYGEN TOXICITY IS FOR LIFE !

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Cold water works a treat too but not as good.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by JS1scuba View Post
    Mikey,

time to set you straight .......

1. You get longer no-stop bottom times and shorter decompression times when doing decompression dives but this is all still dependent on having sufficient gas to breathe. If you do not have enough gas all the no-stop time in the world will do you no good.

For example at 100 fsw you have no-stop time with EAN 32 of 40 minutes but it would take approx 140 cubic feet of gas to do a 40 minute square profile dive. .......

2. Less narcosis is a pure myth. While you may be reducing the nitrogen in the mix by displacing it with oxygen; oxygen has sufficient narcotic properties under pressure that the combined narcosis level of the oxygen and the nitrogen remain the same as if it were air.

3/4 If you conduct a dive of similar dive time as you would an air dive while breathing enriched air you will have less nitrogen load on board and as a result will have less fatigue. But a nitrox dive to the no-stop limit and an air dive to the no-stop limit has similar nitrogen load and hence similar fatigue load.

Hope this helps you out a bit. FYI reference the NOAA Diving Manual 4th Edition .... Nitrox section. (i wrote it)

cheers

Thanks for setting me straight, Joel.......far be it from me to argue with the author of a section of the NOAA Manual! LOL!

Actually, I'm open to debate and counter-point....that was the whole point of my post [note where I said: "Feel free to disagree and tell me it's all in my head"], so thanks for contributing.

PS: I am intrigued about the 'narcotic properties' of oxygen.....can you refer me to further references on it?

Mikey
    "Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

Registered Users

Within the relm of rec diving I use Nitrox to extend my bottom time. Within the tec side I use Nitrox to shorten my deco time.

Quote Originally Posted by texdiveguy View Post
    Within the relm of rec diving I use Nitrox to extend my bottom time. Within the tec side I use Nitrox to shorten my deco time.
    Actually, that's similar to the way we use it as well: to lengthen bottom time and shorten deco time w/40%.
    "Blessed are they who learn from their mistakes. For they shall make, if not necessarily fewer of them, different and more interesting ones."

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Just out of curiosity on the tec dive how much does it shorten the deco for you? I can understand doing it if it would shorten your deco by an hour or so but if its just minutes wouldnt you be better off just running air tables and having the safety buffer being extended a bit more?
    All changes on mix but just curious.

Matt

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Just out of curiosity on the tec dive how much does it shorten the deco for you? I can understand doing it if it would shorten your deco by an hour or so but if its just minutes wouldnt you be better off just running air tables and having the safety buffer being extended a bit more?
    All changes on mix but just curious.

Matt
    Matt....when diving Trimix and using Nitrox as a deco gas....the stop times and overall deco obligation will depend on several variables within a planned dive. Its not uncommon to use other Trimix blends for deco stops. You have to relize also that ANY number of minutes you can safetly remove from your deco obligation is golden when your just hanging!

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

You have to relize also that ANY number of minutes you can safetly remove from your deco obligation is golden when your just hanging!
    Is it really worth it but? If your doing say 45m air dives for 20 minute bottom times your only going to pull a few minutes off your deco time. Unless the water is icy or your having problems with the wildlife what real benefit do you get out of it? Same goes for remote sites. Wouldnt the safety factor of running air tables be more beneficial? Stay in the water and offgas for a bit longer and have that piece of mind that you are just a bit safer.
    I do understand the boredom bit it does suck hanging around doing nothing but breathing.
    To keep it simple im only refering it air and nitrox not trimix.

Matt

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast