Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are fuel prices hampering your diving?

For those of us who don't want to read or realizes the effects of the carbon cycle and this conspiracy theory called "global warming" here's a graphic. The only problem is that the arrow from the burning of fossil fuels isn't nearly big enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Carbon Dioxide has gone up in the last ten years yet global temperatures have gone down! Water vapor is more important than 4thousands of one percent raise in CO2! Total CO2 in our atmosphere is .036% up from .032% and yet this amount 800 times less than in the Plasticine era is causing Global warming! Right and I have some swamp land you might be interested in! The sun and sun spots are responsible for all warming on the First through ninth planet in this solar system! Space minus 300 degrees plus surface of the earth -60* to 136* in Death valley and also in Africa in the 1930's! Thats right not 1998! Snow and Ice 1% above century average for the Arctic! Global Warming? Oceans down 1/2 degree Centigrade in the last 5 years! Ice pack in Antarctic 30% above normal! Sun activity 20 year cycle of sun spots is now quite for the last 5 years peaking in 2003! On and on and the sheep will always find a reason to follow regardless of the facts and lack of any of the so called signs of predicted GW! So whats the answer? Only one, control and the daily loss of your freedoms and raising fuel prices and a lot of money being made selling you green!

No simple 3rd grade model needed!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

OK, kids, take it easy there. We all know stats can be used to show anything, 0.036% of anything is a very small proportion, but a rise in CO2 from 0.032% to 0.036% is a 12.5% increase. Sounds significant to me. Also, I hope the info referred to (Plasticine era etc.) didn't come from the acknowledged hoax distributed last year and broadcast by Rush Limbaugh.

http://adamant.typepad.com/seitz/200...o-judgeme.html

I am not taking sides, I agree that whatever the decisions they need to based on genuine scientific evidence. Research what you feel are accurate sources and then make your own decisions. At the end of the day, whatever your beliefs or political persuasions, conservation is not a bad thing whether it be to save a few bucks at the gas pump, a few gallons of water at home or a few kilowatt hours on your electricity bill.

OK, so back to the original question. Is the price of gas/petrol having an impact on my diving? Answer, yes, but not much. I am being a little more careful due to economic factors, one of which is the price of fuel for the car. I choose to drive a relatively thirsty truck (15 mpg, US gallon), but I need it when going for a dive weekend, to carry all the gear. However, when planning the weekend, we get together and figure out who can ride with whom to share the costs and to make the journey more enjoyable.

I choose what activities I take part in based on a number of factors, as we all have choices. If I have an option to go on a diving trip somewhere but to do so would mean I couldn't pay the mortgage, I would choose not to go. However, if I have the choice between a new fridge or a new BCD, the answer is more likely to be "do I really need a new fridge, or will the old one rattle on for a few more months?"

Whether you are a millionaire or an average Joe, you have choices as to what you do with your money.

OK, now back to the soap box derby!

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

I have to say I am not as "informed" about Global Warming and environmental issues as the rest of you. But I have made some observations based on my own personal experience over the years. It seems to me there are more violent weather storms than there was years ago. It also seems to me like the annual hurricanes start earlier in the year now than they did when I was younger. In fact, I find that in my area that spring starts later and the nicer weather lasts longer into the fall. We used to start swimming at the ol' swimming hole in May when I was a kid, now it is mid-June and the water is still frigid. And yet last summer I saw the warmest water temps I had ever seen by the end of the summer. Winters are far more milder than they were when I was a kid. We don't get anywhere near the snowfall that we used to when I was younger. So I wonder what all that means?
    -- "I'd like to be ... under the sea ... In an octopus' garden ... in the shade ..."

Quote Originally Posted by shinek View Post
    OK, kids, take it easy there. We all know stats can be used to show anything, 0.036% of anything is a very small proportion, but a rise in CO2 from 0.032% to 0.036% is a 12.5% increase. Sounds significant to me. Also, I hope the info referred to (Plasticine era etc.) didn't come from the acknowledged hoax distributed last year and broadcast by Rush Limbaugh.

http://adamant.typepad.com/seitz/200...o-judgeme.html

I am not taking sides, I agree that whatever the decisions they need to based on genuine scientific evidence. Research what you feel are accurate sources and then make your own decisions. At the end of the day, whatever your beliefs or political persuasions, conservation is not a bad thing whether it be to save a few bucks at the gas pump, a few gallons of water at home or a few kilowatt hours on your electricity bill.

OK, so back to the original question. Is the price of gas/petrol having an impact on my diving? Answer, yes, but not much. I am being a little more careful due to economic factors, one of which is the price of fuel for the car. I choose to drive a relatively thirsty truck (15 mpg, US gallon), but I need it when going for a dive weekend, to carry all the gear. However, when planning the weekend, we get together and figure out who can ride with whom to share the costs and to make the journey more enjoyable.

I choose what activities I take part in based on a number of factors, as we all have choices. If I have an option to go on a diving trip somewhere but to do so would mean I couldn't pay the mortgage, I would choose not to go. However, if I have the choice between a new fridge or a new BCD, the answer is more likely to be "do I really need a new fridge, or will the old one rattle on for a few more months?"

Whether you are a millionaire or an average Joe, you have choices as to what you do with your money.

OK, now back to the soap box derby!
    Very good points! All it matters is how you interpret the data. Global warming might not be as bad as some portray but there is data to suggest it's happening. All though the changes might seem insignificant, and have little or no effects in our lifetime, change is occurring. The pH of the ocean is changing even less(becoming acidic) but that may have significant changes. No it doesn't mean it will burn us, but species will become extinct due to the change. At first I was extremely skeptical of global warming but with time and knowledge it's impossible to ignore. At the last world conference on global warming I believe it was that 93% of all the worlds scientists recognized global warming. Scientists NEVER agree, so something must be happening. To what extent, who knows! I could care less if you agree or not but we can all do our part! Fossil fuels aren't sustainable or renewable, so do your best to conserve. Remember it's all about sustainability! That's all I'm trying to get at. So who's it hurting if we monitor our uses, and try to conserver? Oh yea no one! It's the people who are fixed in their views, and won't change that will cause the most problems. Remember denial won't solve anything and is one of the first symptoms of DCS So agian just be proactive and do your best! But back to the origional question, I forgot that it has changed my diving because I sold my boat due to the increasing costs of fuel and the cheap wads not wanting to chip in But looking back, I really didn't use it much so it's money in my pocket, plus I didn't lose anyting on the sale Take this to heart, take this with a grain of sand, I really don't care but I'm done with the political/environmental bitching at one another!

City
    London
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    Well maybe it will inform someone and educate those willing to keep an open mind! You, and many like you are sheep to slaughter and its all your choice! If I open the eyes of one person or give hope that all the dome and gloom is bogus then its worth my time! If you think I have hijacked anything I am not the one who attacks without fact my answer! All I ever offer is facts and food for thought! A starving brain is a terrible thing to see! BTW you spelled Dissuade wrong! Stones and glass houses, at least may facts still stand!
    So we have sheep on the one side and ostriches on the other. Perhaps that's why we find it so difficult to communicate, we're talking completely different languages from a completely different perspective.

Anyway, how about answering the original question eh Papa, everyone else has managed without breaking down into a political fervour. Go on, treat us all, take a deep breath and try and ignore this self bidden urge to show us all the light, mend the err of our ways. ;-)

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Wake up! We use oil! There is no alternative and we need to do it all! It always sounds like my wife when she tells me how much she saved me at the sale! You can't save yourself into a millionaire anymore than oil independence! We are 40 years behind on Nuclear plants, reduced production, and we are NOT running out of oil! Period! Carbon has nothing to do with warming anything! Water vapor is the biggest green house gas! Look at the percentage of CO2! I get Irate when divers buy that crap! Dumocrats are about doom and gloom and all that is bad with this country and ignorance is the highest price we pay in the world! You can't talk about Gas prices without politics since they are directly connected! This goes back to Peanut head Jimmy and Billy Boy!

We are not warming and if you would pay attention the ocean has dropped a 1/2 degree "C" in the last 5 years! It has nothing to do with US, but all to do with the SUN! Not one prediction of the Left and the ALGORE has come true! Great inconvenient truth! LOL

We drive our economy on oil, every good sold is delivered by a diesel truck and growth means the free flow of this commodity! Our air is the cleanest in 50 years, our water is safe, and we enjoy a life style that is the best in the world! Other countries would love to have it and are using the GW issue and the UN to get it!

So you go ahead and buy the party line and it will lead to another one and maybe you'll get free cheese!

WHAT???? What the heck were you smoking today? I told you to stay away from any drugs named after body parts!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me you don't really believe all of that!

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    Hey bottlefish-

All thought I might have had the exact same thoughts, don't be surprised if your post vanishes. They don't like personal attacks of members Oh yea BTW if you use mozilla firefox there is an automatic spell check. I just got turned onto it, and there are a few other features that are nice but there are still times I have to use internet explorer.
    I guess it finds words spelled wrong, but not used wrong.

All thought???

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

The question is will politicians, environmentalist, and the news media effect your diving and they are! Ask any LDS any where in the world! Many resorts are feeling the pinch from fuel prices and my point is it is not supply of oil it is the delivery of the supply effected by the above! BTW in the USA a person walking a mile creates more CO2 than an automobile driving the same mile! Hum! Although facts seem to be the real shortage!
    I guess they assume that you hold your breath while driving?

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    I guess it finds words spelled wrong, but not used wrong.

All thought???

Well take away the t For some reason I can't edit posts anymore and I did notice it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast