Thread: Post Coup Fiji

Registered Users

Default Post Coup Fiji

Bula!
    The excitement of our recent Coup seems to have deterred many visitors from coming here. Understandable I guess but sad as the ones to suffer are the lowest paid and there is no actual risk to tourists.

Anyway, if you want any advice on Fiji diving issues, just drop me a mail. I run Fiji's dive club and publish our only water sports journal.

Happy New Year
    Greg

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Sounds just like the Solomons when the fertiliser hit the air mobiliser. Everyone panics and stays clear of the place just because of a bit of trouble. Most of the time if you get in and out of the area where the strife is quick you have no problems. The Solomons trouble is in the capital which makes it hard if you are going to one of the closer islands by boat or staying in Honiara but if you are heading to one of the other islands its usually off one plane and onto another and your out of the troubled area and into somewhere peaceful. I went to Gizo in October 2001 and the Solomons was the second most dangerous place behind Afghanistan according to the Aussie government. We seen one fight the whole time we were there and it was on a friday night in a pub and was 2 local guys fighting over a girl. We get that here only more. It felt a lot safer walking around at night there than it does in most places in Sydney. Take the advice of locals and dont listen to what the press have to say after all the worse they report it the more papers they sell.

Matt

There is absolutely no need to stay away from Fiji just because they had some benign coup. That would be like somone not visiting the United States because the Democrats took control of the Congress from the Republicans.

The Fijian people and government LOVES everyone, including Westerners. What a lovely, warm people they are.

You're far safer in Fiji than you are in Los Angeles.
    Last edited by Sarah; 02-13-2007 at 02:27 PM.

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

I would feel safer in Iraq than I would in Los Angeles!

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

We were there last year when it happened! They had a parade in one town, but it killed the tourist industry, and had everyone scrambling for the few that were there. We watched the whole thing on TV and talked with a lot of Fijians. A lot of issues and I would be glade to share them if anyone is interested. The New Zealand and Australian government recalled there citizens in what was almost a panic. I wrote about it on my web site Twotankedproductions.com
    but in short people were asking me if they should leave and would they be safe!
    We were and made to feel at home. One dive operator told me she was going out of business after 16 years because the former corrupt government was writing laws that where killing the tourist industry for what else money in the hands of the politicians. They were cutting up both land and sea with ownership and fees to be charged to divers.

We were in one hotel The Crows Nest with 36 rooms and only 4 were rented out and we had 2 of them. I will tell you that it is the best time to go with the airports not crowded and more deals than you can shake a stick at!

We are going back in November and have a couple spaces open is anyone is interested. We will be doing the unexplored cave again this year to see if we can get further in! First week will be on Beqa Island and the second on the big island. We are making history and are the first to ever explore this sacred cave's spring!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Quote Originally Posted by amtrosie View Post
    I would feel safer in Iraq than I would in Los Angeles!
    And you would be!
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post
    There is absolutely no need to stay away from Fiji just because they had some benign coup. That would be like someone not visiting the United States because the Democrats took control of the Congress from the Republicans.
    I would rather go to Fiji! There was certainly more lying going on with the Dumocan'ts take over!

And I think that is smart advise!

Registered Users

Hi,

I'm involved with the OWU-SS Rolex Diving Scholarships and since last year we have opened up the application eligibility to people from Australasia including Fiji and some of the Islands in the South Pacific. I thought as you run a dive club there and the water sports journal you could raise awareness there for me. The applicants do have to have a degree in any subject (or about to finish), be at least a Rescue Diver and be between 21-26. It is an amazing opportunity as I held the European version myself back in 2003.
    I just want to make sure that as many people as possible who could be eligible know as its really a once in a lifetime opportunity... please check the website www.owuscholarships.org and let me know if you want any more info from me.
    divedivajade

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Your link doesn't work! I was going to forward the info!

Registered Users
    City
    Avalon
    State
    California
    Country
    USA

I thought these coups were a fairly regular event anyway. It's a shame some people are such weenies about traveling to other countries. I found the Fijians to be among the warmest people I've ever encountered... and the ones in the dive industry weren't holding their hands out except to shake mine.
    Visit my web site for images of and information about the marine life of southern California's kelp forests.