We were there last year when it happened! They had a parade in one town, but it killed the tourist industry, and had everyone scrambling for the few that were there. We watched the whole thing on TV and talked with a lot of Fijians. A lot of issues and I would be glade to share them if anyone is interested. The New Zealand and Australian government recalled there citizens in what was almost a panic. I wrote about it on my web site Twotankedproductions.com
but in short people were asking me if they should leave and would they be safe!
We were and made to feel at home. One dive operator told me she was going out of business after 16 years because the former corrupt government was writing laws that where killing the tourist industry for what else money in the hands of the politicians. They were cutting up both land and sea with ownership and fees to be charged to divers.

We were in one hotel The Crows Nest with 36 rooms and only 4 were rented out and we had 2 of them. I will tell you that it is the best time to go with the airports not crowded and more deals than you can shake a stick at!

We are going back in November and have a couple spaces open is anyone is interested. We will be doing the unexplored cave again this year to see if we can get further in! First week will be on Beqa Island and the second on the big island. We are making history and are the first to ever explore this sacred cave's spring!