Thread: Routing the 7 foot primary

City
    Warner Robins
    State
    GA
    Country
    USA

Question Routing the 7 foot primary

After seeing pictures of myself looking like "Dr. Octopus" with all the hoses going every which way from my first stage, I decided to go the "tech-ish" route and try to streamline myself. So, when I dropped my rig off for servicing, I had them change out my primary hose for a 7 foot and my octo hose for a shorter 2 foot. (This is just stage one of a multi-stage streamlining plan..finances, you know) I have the bungee for the octo, but I hear different stories about how to wrap the 7 footer. I've seen it bungeed to the tank and wrapped around upper body.
    How do you have it wrapped and why? I know cavers and DIR people around here, but I haven't had the chance to speak with them about it yet.. I figured I would throw it out here since I can actually do this from work.
    **D**
    Dive Often, Dive Safe and Share Your Sport.
    My Website My Blog MySpace DiveBuddy
    Adopt a Manatee

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

My hose runs under my right arm, across to my left shoulder, around my neck and into my mouth from the right! I believe that the DIR routing is to pass it under/behind the canister torch but I don't have one so, instead I have a hose clip attatched to a D ring on my weightbelt which holds the primary in close to my body but will pull away cleanly should I have to donate.

HTH
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

The 7' hose is from the primary reg, which is mounted to the right post. The hose runs down the length of the tank, comes under the battery, on right hip, across the mid-section and chest, behind the neck (L/H side) and into the mouth. If you do not have a battery cannister, run a knife (with holder) through the waist strap.

The secondary reg is mounted to the L/H post goes across the back of the neck and around, with the second stage bungeed around the neck. The reg should be accessable by simply dropping the head. You should not have to shorten this hose from the standard length.!

The pressure guage and hose is mounted to the L/H post on a 24" HP hose and clipped off to the L/H hip clip. BC hose comes off the R/H post, over the L/H shoulder and attached to the inflator hose. Bungee this to the left shoulder strap so it does'nt float around.

Here is the best explanation to the how and WHY it should be the way it is. Works good, lasts long time!

http://www.gue.com/?q=en/Equipment/Config/index.html

If you have any questions, drop me a line. I have been diving this configuration for several years, and is the most efficient, well thought out configuration!!!

City
    London
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by amtrosie View Post
    BC hose comes off the R/H post, over the L/H shoulder and attached to the inflator hose. Bungee this to the left shoulder strap so it does'nt float around.
    Why right post for the primary inflator hose? The GUE web site states the chance of roll off/valve breakage, leading to loss of backup reg and primary bouyancy...

Roll off/valve break in a cave or tight overhead environment perhaps, but what's the chance of this in open ocean?
    Hose routed from right over left puts a nasty bend and therefore stress on the lpi hose, increasing the chance of failure
    If the right post was to fail, you'd have to do a shut down, swap to backup and sort out your bouyancy... quite a bit to deal with

If the hose was attached to the left post

Hose routing is straighter/neater, less stress on the hose.
    If roll off/valve breakage was to occur, you'd have a chance of finding out as and when you tried to inflate your wing and nothing happened (or when the pressure reading stayed the same), as opposed to waiting until you have a right post failure, and an attempt to breath off your non functioning back up reg.
    Right hand post failure, just shut down and swap to backup, bouyancy would still be OK.

I can vauguely see why the roll off/valve break could be concern, but even then the logical way seems to be left post primary inflator. Can you expand any?

City
    Warner Robins
    State
    GA
    Country
    USA

Great detailed answer.. Thank you..
    Although, I too question the inflator hose position. But, the rest sounds great..
    I'll be picking up my gear this weekend, so I'll try it all on and see how it all goes. Thanks again for everyone's answers..
    **D**

Quote Originally Posted by amtrosie View Post
    The 7' hose is from the primary reg, which is mounted to the right post. The hose runs down the length of the tank, comes under the battery, on right hip, across the mid-section and chest, behind the neck (L/H side) and into the mouth. If you do not have a battery cannister, run a knife (with holder) through the waist strap.

The secondary reg is mounted to the L/H post goes across the back of the neck and around, with the second stage bungeed around the neck. The reg should be accessable by simply dropping the head. You should not have to shorten this hose from the standard length.!

The pressure guage and hose is mounted to the L/H post on a 24" HP hose and clipped off to the L/H hip clip. BC hose comes off the R/H post, over the L/H shoulder and attached to the inflator hose. Bungee this to the left shoulder strap so it does'nt float around.

Here is the best explanation to the how and WHY it should be the way it is. Works good, lasts long time!

http://www.gue.com/?q=en/Equipment/Config/index.html

If you have any questions, drop me a line. I have been diving this configuration for several years, and is the most efficient, well thought out configuration!!!
    **D**
    Dive Often, Dive Safe and Share Your Sport.
    My Website My Blog MySpace DiveBuddy
    Adopt a Manatee

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

My primary runs off the L/H post. Mainly because it comes from the centreline port on my Scubapro MK25 and has a much cleaner line with no awkward bends.
    As I don't do caves and tend to avoid tight squeezes the possibilty of roll off is a none issue for me.
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

As for the hose kinking, coming off the R/H post, check your hose ports and direction. You may be able to rearrange your hoses , so this is not an issue any more. I have seen people have SEVERE bends on their hoses, and that is not an acceptable routing option. (long story on this one, person refused to even consider any alternatives, and the hoses were visibly degraded!!)

Another reason for the inflater off the right post is that it could serve as yet another source of gas for breathing, in the event of two second stages failing. You do not want to have too many hoses off of one post, and this splits them evenly, and provides more redundancy.

Why route this way when not diving over head environments? the point is to configure your gear, so there is little to no change of configuration for different environments. Your response time and training is improved when not fumbling for a component that has been newly place in a different position. The idea is clean, simple and streamlined at all times!!