Thread: Anybody done this before???

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Stevect View Post
    I found a 1920s houseboat. All the fittings are still on it so I know I was the first to find it. It's a wonderful find and I put the video here if you want to check it out.

http://www.divetheworld.com/Diving/S...Ulls/index.htm

I also found a massive 4 engined seaplane called a Short Sunderland in a lake in Ireland and i have since found that some of the crew are still on it.

Steve
    shoot... all I ever found was $1 on a reef in Laguna.. I need to start diving with you to find something good! (but not a dive like this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...10/wdive10.xml )...
    Missy
    Hello, Hello
    Hola!
    I'm at a place called Vertigo
    ¿Dónde está?
    It's everything I wish I didn't know

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDiveGirl View Post
    shoot... all I ever found was $1 on a reef in Laguna.. I need to start diving with you to find something good! (but not a dive like this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...10/wdive10.xml )...
    This never really happened. The whole thing got pulled. if you look at the date of the article it was two days before 9/11 so the military had other things on their mind after that.

I have just got myself an underwater hand held metal detector that is really cool.

Steve
    Semper in sterquilinio haeremus: tantum altitudo stercoris interdum.

><(((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯ `·.¸><(((º>

"Sail forth - steer for the deep waters only, Reckless O soul, exploring, I with thee and thou with me, For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared to go, And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all."

In life, some people are poetry in motion whilst others are just gibberish in neutral.

My diving forum in the UK

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

I have worked on ship wreck searches and treasure recovery projects. If you are looking for wreck near rocky shore or in shallow bays the problem is those wrecks are usually flat and buried so side scan sonar doesn't do you much good. If you are lucky enough to have a magnetometer and know how to use it, you can narrow down search areas and then search grids on the bottom with hand held metal detectors, but it is a slow process and a massive undertaking for one person (but it is fun as heck! ) As far as I know those rigs only pick up ferrous metals, so wood and stuff wouldn't be detected. To find wrecks from 1700's or newer, probably the best place to start is the library . . . really ancient stuff, sounds like your common sense reasoning might be a good place to start, and then a LOT of diving ...

Quote Originally Posted by seasnake View Post
    I have worked on ship wreck searches and treasure recovery projects. If you are looking for wreck near rocky shore or in shallow bays the problem is those wrecks are usually flat and buried so side scan sonar doesn't do you much good. If you are lucky enough to have a magnetometer and know how to use it, you can narrow down search areas and then search grids on the bottom with hand held metal detectors, but it is a slow process and a massive undertaking for one person (but it is fun as heck! ) As far as I know those rigs only pick up ferrous metals, so wood and stuff wouldn't be detected. To find wrecks from 1700's or newer, probably the best place to start is the library . . . really ancient stuff, sounds like your common sense reasoning might be a good place to start, and then a LOT of diving ...
    I have an Aquascan 2000 magnetometer and a sub bottom profiler that can help me as it can see through 40 meters of silt.

Steve
    Semper in sterquilinio haeremus: tantum altitudo stercoris interdum.

><(((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯ `·.¸><(((º>

"Sail forth - steer for the deep waters only, Reckless O soul, exploring, I with thee and thou with me, For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared to go, And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all."

In life, some people are poetry in motion whilst others are just gibberish in neutral.

My diving forum in the UK