Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Infuriating Manatee Video

Country
    USA

Ace, I think your point that people want to save the cuddly cute creatures but not the ugly ones is quite well founded.

When I find spiders in my home, even the occasional black widow as I am in a rural sort of area, I catch them in a cup and take them outside.
    SMN Publisher

City
    Warner Robins
    State
    GA
    Country
    USA

No.. I don't think we should put everyone in jail, but I think stiffer control over manatee (or any endangered creature for that matter) interaction is warranted. And, if it comes to it, a nice fine for breaking the law. The fines can go directly to the protection efforts of the creature they harmed, molested or whatever. And yes, if Charter operators aloow the behavior on their charters, then their charter license needs to be revoked.
    Although, I do agree with the cuddly vs. ugly part, Spearfishermen are not hunting and shooting endangered fish. The Goliath Grouper is off limits to spearfishermen and you don't see them taking them. There are certain laws dictating what fish and how big the fish have to be. The "law abiding" fishermen follow these rules as close as they can.
    The divers with boats thing just makes no sense. 99% of boating injuries to manatees are accidents by the boater not seeing the manatee or going too fast and not being able to avoid them. But, yes, if someone intentionally runs over a mantee, take their boat, give it to the Wildlife Preserve people and make them pay a very hefty fine.
    These animals cannot fend for themselves when it comes to humans. It's up to us to save the endangered creatures from our own people.
    You mention no one likes sharks: I love sharks. Shark finners should have the same done to them. Arms cut off and thrown in the ocean. Just that simple.
    The thing I'm trying to get across is we have to patrol ourselves when interacting with endangered (or any) animal. Just be smart about your interaction and if you see someone esle doing it wrong, point it out to them or a local authority.
    **D**
    Dive Often, Dive Safe and Share Your Sport.
    My Website My Blog MySpace DiveBuddy
    Adopt a Manatee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12