Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Mantis Shrimp on steroids?

Thread: Mantis Shrimp on steroids?

Hybrid View

Hmmm...I don't know of any radiology labs along the Ala Wai Canal...

"The Attack of the 2 Foot Mantis Shrimp!"

(For those who remeber "Attack of teh Fifty Foot Woman..."

Registered Users

That's no ordinary shrimp! That is the most foul, cruel crustacea you'd ever laid eyes on!

Ive seen the bones of a full fifty divers strewn about it's lair. No diver has ever fought with em and lived to tell!

If you ever come across their burrow brave divers, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, go no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth!

Registered Users

Possibly due to human steroidal pollution (largest source--estrogen from birth control pills in urine). The effect of this pollution on a variety of invertebrate and vertebrate organisms' reproduction and growth are only now being fully assessed. Interesting find. Could also be due to other steriodal sources such as soy foods, I guess. (But I like the idea of 50 divers' skeletons strewed about the lair of the giant mantis shrimp--SciFi Channel are you watching?)
    When the North California fishery crashed in the 1940s, everyone in Monterey wondered where the sardines had gone, Ed Ricketts, marine biologist and colleague of John Steinbeck had the answer, "They're in cans."

Guidance on what fish to eat may be found here

Look what nuclear radiation did to the ant colonies in the New Mexico blast after the Trinity nuclear test:

This post meant as a parody of 1950's sci fi flicks. DrDiver, your information is always properly thought provoking.
    Last edited by Sarah; 01-23-2007 at 03:40 AM.

Registered Users

That looks like the ants in our shower! I gotta get me a Geiger counter!
    When the North California fishery crashed in the 1940s, everyone in Monterey wondered where the sardines had gone, Ed Ricketts, marine biologist and colleague of John Steinbeck had the answer, "They're in cans."

Guidance on what fish to eat may be found here

Registered Users

Default I think I just got turned off

I think my Crustacean eating days are over...
    Eat a bug... OMG... What have I been doing?
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Registered Users
    City
    Avalon
    State
    California
    Country
    USA

Well, the one described and pictures in my newspaper column from two weeks ago wasn't on steroids... just sex pheromones.

You can read about it here.
    Visit my web site for images of and information about the marine life of southern California's kelp forests.