Thread: New Breatholding Record

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Default New Breatholding Record

David Blane just set a breath holding water record 17.04.04!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

David Blane? The same David Blane that is the street magician? If that is the case, then it is most likely not real. It has been proven time and time again that his trick are just that TRICKS.

Do you want to be a Blanetologist?

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

It was certified by Guinness Book of world records? So he fooled them? Our it was real? He broke the old record by 45 sec. if a trick you would think by more?
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

OK, I found out some more info on this and it is for real.....sort of and a trick...sort of.

Here is the deal, he is not just holding his breath for that time as you would think. He prepares for this by doing things a normal person would not do. One of the things he does is sleep in a chamber that simulates the thin air at 15,000 feet. The other thing he does is breath pure oxygen before holding the pure oxygen as his last breath.

I don't know about all of you, but when I am thinking about someone holding their breath in water, I am picturing it as it was when I was a child. You know, three deep breaths, and then hold yourself under the pool ladder while your friend timed you.....LOL.... Hold on Timmy, I have to get out of my chamber....let me put on that oxygen mask........ok ready. I WIN!!!

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Ace, your a hard audience! 17.4.04 is a long time between breaths! It was a category and your allowed to do the 02 for up to 30minutes! He did 23 minutes of it!

Sorry but I'd be happy with 2 mins max, 17 is just unrealistic for most and no matter what you do it's a hell of a long time, breathing O2 etc isn't a trick just a little help.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    Ace, your a hard audience!

I am though.

Really, I am just playing one side of the story, hopefully it strums up some conversation. There has not been a lot going on here recently except for a few of us. I think everyone is out enjoying the nice weather and diving, at least I hope.

City
    Country life for me
    State
    HI
    Country
    USA

It''s not really that big a deal. You don't need to sleep in chambers or do big deal training, but you do need to breathe pure oxygen for some period before hand. I watched one of the Docs from SUNY Buffalo (I think it was Lundgren) do it at the second Tec Conference ... he held his breathe, without looking like it was any effort, for 15 minutes.

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Breath holding on O2 is completely different than free diving to 110 feet...
    ASW

"Don't believe everything you think"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast