Thread: American Air announces fees for all baggage

Country
    USA

Default American Air announces fees for all baggage

American Airlines has announced that they will begin charging $15 for each checked bag. This applies to all checked bags, including the first one.

I realize businesses must make a profit in spite of what consumers think, but I don't get why businesses tack on add-ons rather than incorporating increases into the total fee. Why not just raise the entire fair price by $15 instead of getting skewered by the rabidly anti-business media, who have no problems charging remarkable fees for their advertising slots.

Opinions?
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users

Default Wait!

Waiting at the counter is going to be much longer..

With every passenger/family having to whip out the good ole' credit
    card to pay $15, $30, $45 bucks... You'll need to arrive much sooner....

I'm glad I don't fly like I use to...
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

Its now $15 (each way, $30 for the round trip) for the first bag, $25 for the second and $100 each for bags 3, 4 and 5 and $200 each after that. If you've got that much luggage, you're probably a celebrity and can afford the first class fare anyway. Either that or ship it via Fedex.

Remember, this is for domestic flights at this stage (inc. USVI, Puerto Rico, Canada, and does not apply if;
    • you pay full economy fare
    • you buy business or 1st class tickets or get upgraded prior to check in
    • you are gold, platinum or exec platinum status with American or travelling on the same reservation as someone who is.

Expect other airlines to do something similar in the near future. Expect more time at check in as people pay for their baggage and probably argue about it until it becomes common practise. Also, people will try to get all their worldly possessions into one carry-on bag, so expect some arguments at check in about that also.

Get to the airport early, don't stress out about the line, get through security, head for the bar and wait for your flight.

Ah, the fun of air travel.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

To get my 70lbs housing to George Town and back will cost me $80.00 each way! So we need to stop worrying about Rain Deer and start drilling! Supply and demand is pretty simple! Drown the tree huggers and drill! We have gone from 9 million Barrels a day domestic production in 1984 to 5 million a day in 2006 and you wonder why fuel prices are going up and how our enemies have all that money? Wake up and lets drill! Tell the politicians in a free country we should be free to have all the oil we want! The oil companies know were there is 1.3 trillion barrels of oil and we can get it without hurting the environment! Really! Or shut up and pay! Figure your paying a higher price to go visit that favorite reef in order to save us all and be happy
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Registered Users
    City
    Calgary
    Country
    Canada

Default Wait and see...I guess

It will not take long for other airlines to follow. I understand that they have maintain their slim profit margin. But i wonder how long it will take to remove this fee if fuel prices drop ? hmmmmm
    "From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
    Jacque Cousteau

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Competition will do that fast! I will fly the lowest fare to my destination and other will as well!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    Bay Shore
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

I flew back from the NSS-CDS conference in Florida on Jet Blue with my rebreather and photo equipment and got banged for $100 for an overweight bag (over 70 pounds).

Country
    USA

I'm able to get my rebreather bag to 73lbs and when i pack I always have a scale I use t adjust things...

Do check out my airline luggage weight strategies thread.
    SMN Publisher