Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How strict are the airlines and which one should I take.

Registered Users
    City
    Moalboal
    Country
    rp

Default How strict are the airlines and which one should I take.

I will be traveling from Cebu to Manila in late May and will be carrying a full set of gear (sans tanks), extra masks/fins/snorkels, several books, a weeks worth of clothes and other odds and ends. My two questions are is there an airline which routinely waives fees for the extra weight and is there a viable alternative between Cebu and Manila (fast Ferry?) that could get me there relatively quickly? I searched through the websites of several shipping companies to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I think you are going to have to bite the bullet, it seems like all of the airlines have been strict with the baggage lately. You should plan on bringing an extra bag, of course they will love charging you for it.

It could be cheaper than buying something that breaks while away though.

Air Philippines will not charge you for dive gear up to 25kgs if you show them your C-card. Other airlines here charge about 85 cents a kilo for domestic flights.

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBA411 View Post

My two questions are is there an airline which routinely waives fees for the extra weight?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

What needs to be understood here is the fact that weight costs more money for the airlines in the form of extra fuel to carry that weight. I am not too thrilled that they have reduced the weight limit so much. The airlines are looking for any and all means to be compensated for the rising fuel costs.

He was just asking which airlines would waive the fees.

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dennis View Post
    He was just asking which airlines would waive the fees.
    Not very likely to happen with the airlines looking in every nook-and-cranie for the last source of revenue. We as divers are going to have to get used to this and adapt as needed.

Perhaps if you read my first post you would see I found one that does, one that I use regularly...

[QUOTE]Air Philippines will not charge you for dive gear up to 25kgs if you show them your C-card./QUOTE]
    Last edited by Diver Dennis; 04-27-2008 at 12:09 AM.

Registered Users

Default Lowest offer

Service is about the same, go with the lowest offer.
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Registered Users
    City
    Moalboal
    Country
    rp

Quote Originally Posted by amtrosie View Post
    Not very likely to happen with the airlines looking in every nook-and-cranie for the last source of revenue. We as divers are going to have to get used to this and adapt as needed.
    Amtrosie,

My question was specific to inter Island travel in the Republic of the Philippines. While I appreciate your response, have you ever been to the RP? I understand this is a practice which occurs in that nation primarily to encourage tourism. As Dennis pointed out PAL is the airliine which provides that service.

PAL does not but Air Phils does... Air Philippines is part of PAL though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast