Registered Users
    City
    Oak Hill
    State
    Virginia
    Country
    USA

Default Been to Dutch Springs, Pa?

Looking for recommendations/comments on Dutch Springs Pennsylvania. Been diving the Quarry at Haymarket Virginia and looking for some alternatives. Thanks for your suggestions!

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

If you enjoy quarry diving, Dutch Springs is one of the best to dive in, if not the best. They are a very professional full service operation. The water is cold, but very clear (it looks like tropical blue water). There are a lot of underwater attractions. It is very nice, but expensive in my opinion.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Registered Users

Default If you are a diver

You gotta dive... So dive Dutch..
    It is cold... Freekin cold...
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Registered Users
    City
    Oak Hill
    State
    Virginia
    Country
    USA

Super thanks! I appreciate your responses to all of my posts. We'll look to head up to Dutch Springs in the next several weeks.

All the best, Chris

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I know a few divers from here and from divebuddy.com that are going to the DUI Dog Days at Dutch next month. I think it is May 16th and 17th, but I am not 100% sure.

Registered Users

Default DUI going Dutch

Well,

If you're heading to Dutch and DUI will be there... A drysuit is the
    way to dive Dutch...

It's freekin co-co-co-cooooold..
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Yes it is COLD really FREAKING COLD, but it does warm up somewhat during the summer and into the fall. I am thinking the water temp is getting close to 50 degrees or so. And yes, dry is pretty much the only way to go there this time of year. Don't get me wrong, a few years back we went this time of year in 7mm farmer john wet suits. We were fine, for about 5 minutes then we started to shiver, after about 10 minutes in it started to become painful, by 15 minutes we had ended the dive.

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

CAN2-

You live a lot closer to Lake Rawlings than Dutch. It's in southern Virginia. Rawlings is actually quite awesome for quarry diving. Because of a large zebra mussel population, the water is very clear - 40-60 ft is normal, although it can get stirred up on weekends when there are classes.

The place is full of sunken things...including an airplane that sits mid-water column on a tripod. They just put it in, and I haven't seen it myself yet, but it is said to be very cool.

Most of the quarry is just over 30 ft deep, but there is a large section that drops down to over 60 ft. A couple of sunken hulls down in the shadows at the bottom add just the right amount of creepiness.

It's cold at this time of year...around 50 degrees in the deep section. But it does warm up as the summer goes along.

They have tons of camping, cabin rentals, air fills, and gear rental all on-site.

Also, check out Willow Springs in southern PA. Nice place, lots of sunken toys, camping and air fills. Biggest problem is limited viz - unless green is your favorite color. I've been there a few times and liked it. Ace practically lives there and can tell you a lot more about it.

Mountain Dog
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Yes, I do, but I am trying to move to some saltwater. I really miss living at the shore, time will tell.

I really do love Willow Springs though, just because of how chill it is there. You can't get any more laid back than that place!

I live in Harrisburg PA so I have been wet in both Dutch and Willow. I love Willow as well...this time of year the vis isn't normally to bad. Once it gets warmer though...the algea does indeed bloom!. There is also Bainbridge sportsmans club just south of Harrisburg (Near three mile Island) that is very nice to dive, The area surrounding the actual quarry is a bit more "rustic" than are Dutch or Willow ...but the diving is great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast