Registered Users
    City
    Oak Hill
    State
    Virginia
    Country
    USA

Question Semi-Dry?

I'm trying to figure out exactly what a Semi-Dry suit is, and how it fits into the "Wet Suit - Dry Suit" discussion. We dive pretty cold water here in Va, and most of the instructors are going Dry Suit but a couple (who I have not been able to catch up with yet) dive the Semi Dry suits. Anyone here have any opinions they'd like to share? I'm looking at likely 20 - 30 dives a year in a quarry/lake.

Thanks all! Chris

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

A semi-dry suit is basically a beefed up wet suit.

It usually has a dry suit zipper and some type of seal at the wrists and ankles. Water still gets in, and it fits tight as a standard wet suit, but the seals and zipper keep the water from flowing around. They are somewhat warmer than a regular dry suit, and about double the price.

In my opinion dry is the way to go if you are in cold waters. For me anything that requires more than a 3mm wet suit and I am going dry. I would consider a 5mm wet suit, but I would never dive a farmer john and jacket style heavy wet suit again.

If you would like to try one out, most dive shops offer a dry suit class. They are usually under $100 for the class and includes the use of a dry suit. Many dive shops will even take the cost of the class off the purchase price of a dry suit if want to buy it from them after the class. It is nice because you not only get some training, but you can make your own decision about diving dry vs. wet.

well it depends how cold the water is, and who you ask. I have a semi-dry wetsuit. Pretty much it has a drysuit like zipper and a few extra barriers around the neck and the neoprene is slightly different. It's cheaper than a drysuit and keeps my damp not really wet..... but the best thing is I'm warm enough

Registered Users

Default What a silly thing to do

Going semi is like driving to the post office to drop your letter in the mail box.
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by lars2923 View Post
    Going semi is like driving to the post office to drop your letter in the mail box.
    My thoughts exactly!

Registered Users

Default I almost forgot

Don't pee in your rental drysuit...
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA