Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What's this BIZARRE animal? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's this BIZARRE animal?

The diver who shot the original video is here now, let's see if the still photo matches what he remembers he saw and shot.

Country
    USA

The more I look at the original video compared to the followup photos, the less I am convinced it is a clione.

I noticed a lack of an orange visceral sack that is consistent with all other videos and photos of a clione. I also noticed that the locomotive wings on the cliones are anterior, whereas the original video the undulating wing is medial, and it appears dorsal rather than bilateral.

Thoughts?
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users

Default Squid-like crittter (+)

Hi folks!

I am the one that shot the video. It definitely did not look like a clione, as others have said. I was thinking squid before seeing the end folded over on itself and I never did see any separation where the tentacles would be. The single "dorsal" fin also has me stumped.

Thanks for the interest! I'll keep looking and let you all know if I find out anything.

Mike

City
    Country life for me
    State
    HI
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDragons View Post
    Hi folks!

I am the one that shot the video. It definitely did not look like a clione, as others have said. I was thinking squid before seeing the end folded over on itself and I never did see any separation where the tentacles would be. The single "dorsal" fin also has me stumped.

Thanks for the interest! I'll keep looking and let you all know if I find out anything.

Mike
    As I said, I'm really not sure, but please do not let the lack of direct comparison to the arctic specimens that are all we have to look at (stills and the Japanese vide) dissuade you, they are all either Clione anatarcticus or Clione limnacina. It is possible that this is the only footage of this animal. I can not even find photographs of the other species known, but I will continue to search.

I can not believe that it is a squid (which was my first guess also), the single dorsal discounts that possibility.

Country
    USA

Mike aka SeaDragon, maybe you get to name a newly discovered species!

Clione masloskii

SMN Publisher

Country
    USA

Default I got it!

Pterotrachea coronata aka Sea Elephant

Phylum Mollusca / Class Gastropoda / Subclass Prosobranchia / Order Mesogastropoda / Family Pterotracheidae

image credit:Ocean Oasis

You can see more photos and read about this amazing animal here

Thanks Thal for putting me on the right track, as it became a mission!

SeaDragon, that was an awesome find.

iDiveChick, thanks for locating the right image credit.
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

Default Congrats on the Elephant hunt!

Well done guys, I did some really basic searches, but wasn't starting with the knowledge you guys have so got nowhere. I must have watched that video clip a dozen times hoping to spot something new.
    Thanks for giving me back my work day, not sure what I'll do with it, but I'm sure management will think of something!

City
    Country life for me
    State
    HI
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by shinek View Post
    Well done guys, I did some really basic searches, but wasn't starting with the knowledge you guys have so got nowhere. I must have watched that video clip a dozen times hoping to spot something new.
    Thanks for giving me back my work day, not sure what I'll do with it, but I'm sure management will think of something!
    That's it. Good job. I've never seen one. Now that I'm in Hawaii I'll have to be on the lookout for that little sucker.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

When I saw it I knew it reminded me of a chambered nautilus! Same family! Very nice research and you beat me to it, but I was closing in! Very nice video and catch!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    Country life for me
    State
    HI
    Country
    USA

The Chambered Nautilus is Nautilus pompilius, that's Animalia > Mollusca > Cephalopoda > Nautilida > Nautilidae

This guy is in the Pterotracheoidea and has nothing more in common with the Chambered Nautilus than the fact that are both molluscs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast