Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What's this BIZARRE animal?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's this BIZARRE animal?

Country
    USA

Default What's this BIZARRE animal?

35 seconds in.....

From a distance I thought reef squid, but when the footage got closer, I see not a bilateral set of fins, but a single dorsal fin undulating for propulsion. The end has what looks like an Elph shoe curl, lol.

This one has me stumped.

Paging Thalassamania!
    SMN Publisher

City
    London
    Country
    UK

Default Link didn't work...

Try this instead:

No idea what it is though

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Opening shot is a Hawks Bill turtle trying ti sleep under the edge of the coral! Is that what we are talking about? Come on where are your sea eyes?
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

NO, I think he is asking about the critter he filmed after the turtle.

I don't know exactly what that is, but it looks to be some form of Zooplankton. I am not a biologist, so that is just a guess.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Squid Larva! Look and you can see it is swimming backwards and has swimmerets in the right place and what looks like Tentacles putting everything in the right place.
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Where was it shot? Anyone know?

Country
    USA

Opening shot is a Hawks Bill turtle trying ti sleep under the edge of the coral! Is that what we are talking about? Come on where are your sea eyes?
    No, I am talking about the red colored rocks! lol......

It was shot in Bonaire.
    SMN Publisher

City
    Country life for me
    State
    HI
    Country
    USA

An exact ID is way beyond my ken, but I'd bet on a opisthobranch in the suborder Gymnosomata. That'd make it a "Sea angel", also known as a clione, and previously known as a pteropod, which are a group of small swimming sea slugs.

On the other hand it could be a jelly that I'm unfamiliar with, but I doubt it due to the way it swims.

Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by thalassamania View Post
    An exact ID is way beyond my ken, but I'd bet on a opisthobranch in the suborder Gymnosomata. That'd make it a "Sea angel", also known as a clione, and previously known as a pteropod, which are a group of small swimming sea slugs.
    Um... yeah, what he said!

There are so many things in the sea I never knew existed, and a Sea Angel is one of them. What a magnificent critter pictured below, whose author I cannot find to give credit to other than a screen name of bogleech.

SMN Publisher

City
    Country life for me
    State
    HI
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    There are so many things in the sea I never knew existed, and a Sea Angel is one of them. What a magnificent critter pictured below, whose author I cannot find to give credit to other than a screen name of bogleech.

That Horned Clione shot was taken, I believe, by either Ron Gilmer or Richard Harbison of Woods Hole Oceanographic during a cruise aboard the R/V Endeavor that I made with them back in the mid 1980s. We left Iceland, skirted Greenland, put in to St. John's and would up back at the Hole on the same day that Ballard came back from his first Titanic expedition (it was a real circus that day). Anyway, while it looks like a tropical baby, that sucker is from the arctic.

More Clione pics here.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast