Thread: Tuesday Night Dive at La Jolla Shores

Hybrid View

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    dry suits are just too fragile for what I'm doing.

What the heck could you be doing? There are commercial divers working on oil rigs using dry suits, so I am sure you could find something that is not too fragile for your particular dive.

Anyway, maybe you guys are just missing out on real comfort. I would rather dive dry any day.

well in my price range atleast. Drysuits are expensive I couldn't imagine how much a commercial one would be. I know a few commercial guys that told me they will never dive dry because when it fails, which will happen someday, you s*it out of luck. Freeze and get hypothermia or get bent. Well I guess a trip to the chamber it is. I'm just starting a journey as a scientific diver which is just some data collection/sampling etc.. which takes focus and I could easily scrape against something tearing a hole in a drysuit. It just seems like pretty much everyone uses thick wetsuits around here.
    Last edited by hbh2oguard; 04-04-2008 at 06:03 AM.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Look into the old style neoprene suits, they can be had REALLY cheap now, I have seen them new for $350 on a closeout. They are extremely durable and warm. Of course at that price, you can replace them as they wear so you don’t have to worry about a failure as much. Look for the neoprene seals as they too are tougher. And whoever told you that the dry suit will fail is 100% correct. It happens more often than you would think, but it is usually not a big deal, you don’t freeze and you can continue to do your decompression requirement. Don’t ever think a dry suit is dry, I am always wet after a dive.

Well, the wet/dry issue aside, the job sounds interesting. I am sure everyone would love if you posted a new thread about your scuba job. I know a lot of us would love to have scuba as part of our job. Unfortunately that usually means difficult commercial diving or low pay dive jobs like DM or instructor.

Ace

Are you talking about the semi-dry crushed neopreme suits??? It's not really a job since it doesn't pay but more like research for school in hopes to get into a program to go to Moorea next fall for a few months doing research there. Thanks for the advice, I'll have to take a look

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

No, but that might be an option for you as well.

Anyway, we would love to hear about what you are doing.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    Are you talking about the semi-dry crushed neopreme suits??? It's not really a job since it doesn't pay but more like research for school in hopes to get into a program to go to Moorea next fall for a few months doing research there. Thanks for the advice, I'll have to take a look
    Won't need a dry or wet suit there! Sounds cool!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

well yea, but I need one now since I'm in north/central CA and that's where I'm starting some scientific work.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

I know! And you don't want to tough it out! But I was talkin bout Tahiti!!!! Yaaaaa!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/