Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cozumel Questions May 2008

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Just don't think I need all inclusive, Unfortunately friend bailed so I am going alone . To bad so sad but I'm not letting that stop me. ...................

Any and all Suggestions would be appreciated
    I would say go for the all inclusive if you can afford it. I never went the all inclusive route until my honeymoon and I would never do a non inclusive if an all inclusive was available. I don't drink any alcohol, the main reason many choose the all inclusive, but for me it is everything else that is included that does it for me.

Considering you are going alone, it would be nice to know you don't have to go out yourself, you can do just about everything on the property. Of course that may not jive with your personality.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by lars2923 View Post
    I am heading down in June for 14 days..
    I will be staying at Casa Del Mar with some friends...
    $129/night All inclusive... Sweet!

WOW, now that is a deal. Even more reason to move to Florida, a shore airplane ride and I am at so many great scuba destinations. Plus Spirit has direct flights to most of those places as well, with their deals I am so there!

Ace

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Unfortunately, My wife won't be making this trip. She has booked all her holidays. .....her concern is that I'm down there, with out someone that knows me, in case I have an accident. You would have to know my wife. She is always looking out for the ones she loves. That's why I married her ......
    I understand where she is coming from, but you really don't have to worry about that. I would be sure to buy yourself a DAN membership and insurance plan if you don't already have it. Where you are going is not some remote out of the way place, it is a major resort. They also are VERY concerned with their tourism industry and would not want the bad publicity. Tourists have been diving there for years and there is no evidence of anything out of the ordinary there.

The other thing you can do that might make a huge difference to both of your comfort levels is to hire a dive guide. All dive shops that I know offer the services of a dive guide. Basically you are paying an insured dive master to be your buddy. That is someone that is a daily professional diver, a safe and trained diver, and someone that knows the dive sites and sea life better than you. Not only will you have your added safety, but your guide will find and show you things the rest of the group will miss.

Or you can take a dive class, any of the advanced classes will only have a few if any other students, and then all of your dives will be with your instructor.

I hope what I have said gets you diving rather than sitting by the pool. It would be a shame if you were there and missed the chance to see something you might never get a chance to see again.

Country
    USA

Great advice Ace!
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users
    City
    Calgary
    Country
    Canada

Default Good advice

You all have given some great advice. I thought about iberostar and dressel again, had no problems at all with them. Just thought about trying some one new. If you knew me you'd know I'm not much of a partier, 14 yrs of being on call 24x7 does that too you . But It looks like I will be by my self this trip and a all inclusive might cause my wife less worry. I won't be booking for another week but you all have given some great advice ( one of the reasons I like this site ) Thanks again!
    "From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
    Jacque Cousteau

Registered Users

Did you book your trip yet? I hope you choose Scuba Club

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

Just in case nothing's been booked yet, a buddy of mine has a nice little Condo about 10 - 15 minutes walk from downtown (Senior Frogs, Carlos & Charlies, the Square etc.). Comfortable rooms, TV, air con, kitchen, showers, all the usual stuff you would expect. They also have a pool area for lazing with a cool beer at the end of a long day's diving.
    When we're down there we dive with Caribbean Divers, a great bunch, always have a DM in the water but let you do your own thing or follow them, your call. Its often worth staying fairly close as they can spot critters that most of us would just glide over.
    Anyway, if you're interested, I can get the details and put you in touch with the right folks.
    By the way, love Cozumel diving, did the Devil's Throat for the first time a couple of months ago, a great dive!

Registered Users
    City
    Calgary
    Country
    Canada

Default Hey great advice

No , I decided on Iberostar , close to reefs and I am familiar with Dressel. Plus my wife would feel better if I was in a self contained resort. To many many Canaidians dying from falls of balcony's lately, has her worried for me.
    Since she is familiar with Iberostar it calms her fears a little anyway. I will be booking when I get back from Alaska (this coming week) Now all I need is some gear LOL. Was looking at the Zeagle Ranger BCD, But am considering a Hakyon, ( like the basic design and the fact that all parts are replaceable )
    "From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
    Jacque Cousteau

Registered Users

Default Zeagle

No , I decided on Iberostar , close to reefs and I am familiar with Dressel. Plus my wife would feel better if I was in a self contained resort. To many many Canaidians dying from falls of balcony's lately, has her worried for me.
    Since she is familiar with Iberostar it calms her fears a little anyway. I will be booking when I get back from Alaska (this coming week) Now all I need is some gear LOL. Was looking at the Zeagle Ranger BCD, But am considering a Hakyon, ( like the basic design and the fact that all parts are replaceable )
    If your looking at the Ranger, nominal difference, go for the 911...
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

Default Zeagle

I used a Zeagle for several years and was very happy with it, still use it when I'm travelling. I read somewhere that some people had issues over the "rip cord" to dump weights in an emergency, as far as could see they were mainly concerned about rethreading it. My view, on the very rare occasion that you might really need to dump your weights, how you'll rethread the cord is the least of your worries and no worse than the thought of having to replace weight pockets in other BCs.
    Anyway, I never had any issues with the Zeagle and being "backless" (i.e. no bulky back plate) it was always very light and easy to pack for travelling. Not sure of the current model names, but I believe the principle is the same.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast