Registered Users
    City
    nokomis
    State
    fl.
    Country
    U,S.A.

Default travel with dive gear

Was wondering what everyone does with their dive bags while flying to different destination. I came back from costa Rica recently and my wife's mask was missing out of her bag. I also herd that your not aloud to put locks on your bags and that if you do they cut them off. any suggestions

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I am sure everyone here has some tips and tricks to help you along, here are a few of mine.

1. Always carry as much of your gear in your carry on as you can, ESPECIALLY things you can't do without. If you have an RX dive mask for example, it would be very difficult to rent or borrow one while on vacation.

2. Use regular luggage, no dive bags, or big scuba flags or other scuba markings on the luggage, you don't let anyone know you have expensive gear in your bags!

3. LOCK YOUR BAG! Yes, if you do not use the PROPER lock, it will be cut off, but you can use TSA approved locks, which they have a master key for. Not that it is a perfect solution, but it will keep most hands out.

Country
    USA

Seth,

Always use the TSA locks on your bags. Use them on every single compartment. Don't buy them at the airport, get them off E-bay. They will be half the price.

Also file a claim with the air carrier and don't let them wear you down. File a complaint also with the Cost Rica Dept of Tourism.
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users
    City
    nokomis
    State
    fl.
    Country
    U,S.A.

thanks for all the advise i definatly buy those locks befor my next trip..