Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to choose a Tech Instructor/Course?

Registered Users

You might give some consideration to an Intro to Technical Diving class,,,,usually several day of basic instruction and skill work. I know NAUI and TDI and now SSI all have them. Good way to start without a large investment in gear/time....might help to hone your diving skills and allow you to taste what you have to come.

City
    Bay Shore
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

I'd suggest looking for an instructor who likes to do the kind of diving you are interested in learning. For fun. As in, when they are not teaching.

I think when choosing a course you don't choose the card you get in the end but you choose the instructor.

It's never about GUE this or TDI that but the person you are intrusting to teach you a potentially dangerous activity that takes a lot more then simply what the book offers.

Look for experience but someone who is active in the community. I've met a lot of technical instructors who teach expired information or teach cave diving techniques to someone who's interested in wrecks.

What i tell everyone who asks me this, is do a discover technical dive.. small commitment, no investment and get a feel of how the person teaches and how the center works.. then if you aren't happy you got a cool dive with very little expense.

I've dove with a lot of people who have a lot of technical dives that should not be in technical gear both with bouyancy and simple skills. Most of them stood in defiance of my comments by saying "i'm an advanced mega trimix diver from blah and here's my card"

good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12