Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to choose a Tech Instructor/Course?

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Question How to choose a Tech Instructor/Course?

How would one go about choosing an appropriate Tech Instructor? & what courses should we start with (to avoid duplication due to lack of funds)?

Everyone has a different diving style and although we may all be good divers, some people just don't get along underwater. Is there a "try me" dive? to avoid signing up for a bunch of courses only to realize by the 3rd dive that you really don't get along underwater? & would you want to take Tech courses from someone you don't know personally and are already comfortable in the water with?

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

What kind of tech? There are leaders in all fields and I would look at what kind and ask about the best! Tim O'leary is one of the best Deep tech guys from NAUI! Cave Bill Rennaker or John Orlowsky! So what kind and then who
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by littleleemur View Post
    How would one go about choosing an appropriate Tech Instructor? & what courses should we start with (to avoid duplication due to lack of funds)?

I found the best preperation for a tech class was the GUE fundamentals class. The points taught and the emphasis on precision was key to the later tech classes. This class is the best class I have ever taken. I was challenged, stretched, and forced to really evaluate the diving that I did.

Registered Users

Default Try and Buy or Quit

You may want to consider an option that if you or the Instructor
    find your mental state for tech diving is not quite there, to terminate
    the course with compensation to cover time and expenses.
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

I went for the TDI Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures combined course. I thoroughly enjoyed it and learnt lots but I did have a great deal of practice with my twinset in shallow water before the course.
    In specific terms of the OP I would endorse PapaBears questions, What sort of "Tech" diving are you interested in ? and why do you want to go "Tech"?
    It is these two variables that will really decide the best way forward (IMHO).
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

I'm interested in getting to more pristine wrecks & find linework therapeutic :P (I am such a dork) I used to do quite a bit of splunking and at some point would like to explore underwater caves

Just trying to get some opinions that are not affected by equipment sales ratings, agency shop-status ratings and inter-shop politics that one experiences when walking into a LDS (unfortunately)

What I am trying to avoid is starting an investment on gear and classes to later find out that other gear & classes would have been more appropriate.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Cave Excursions in Northern Florida (Lauravill) is my recommendation! Honest, direct, and won't sell you useless equipment! But don't buy anything until trained! They will rent you everything!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I am not a caver (not yet at least), but I do know that Florida seems to be the cave diving center of the U.S. There are plenty of places to learn and practice down there, and I am sure that the instructors down there are the best at what they do.

I am sure that any instructor would let you sit in on a class to see if their teaching style fit your personality. The other option is to go and spend some time diving in the area with different shops, after a bit of diving you should be able to tell which places you feel the most comfortable with.

Good luck on your training.

Registered Users

Default Hands Down

You want the best? Hands down: http://www.cavediveflorida.com/
    Jim Wyatt...
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by littleleemur View Post
    I'm interested in getting to more pristine wrecks & find linework therapeutic :P (I am such a dork) I used to do quite a bit of splunking and at some point would like to explore underwater caves

Just trying to get some opinions that are not affected by equipment sales ratings, agency shop-status ratings and inter-shop politics that one experiences when walking into a LDS (unfortunately)

What I am trying to avoid is starting an investment on gear and classes to later find out that other gear & classes would have been more appropriate.

I stand by what I said earlier about the GUE route. The Fundies class is going to teach you about diving the most efficient way, without extra un-neccessary gear. It starts to place you in the best possible position to really benefit from the cave training to follow. If the GUE thing scares you, the NAUI tech program is pretty good, and will guide you into caves.

As always, the instructor is always the most important thing. For caves, get an instructor who lives in the area. They will be the best at teaching caves, because that is what they know best.

Good luck on the cave thing. I have been a caver for years and LOVE it!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast