Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm a Rescue Diver!! Now what?!

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by kaa005 View Post
    ......i'm new to the sport and have about fifty dives.

...its worth doing the wreck, deep, nitrox, night, maybe also go tec. instead of becoming an instructor.
    I feel and I am sure most will agree that you are planning way too far in advance. Of course you can have goals and dreams, but you should take your diving one step at a time. You really don't have much of a choice anyway, basically after your 1st scuba class the next step will be the Advanced class, then after that the next step is Rescue Diver, and then things start to open up depending on your intended direction. Most of the others you talked about; deep, wreck, night, navigation, etc. are all electives. Basically they are just a small intro into the subject, but not full training in any way. The nitrox training is somewhere in between, as you don't need it to progress from basic scuba to advanced, or to rescue or even DM, but you most likely will want to take it at some point.

Bottom line, by the time you actually have a choice in classes (besides electives) you will already have enough scuba knowledge to make your own educated decision.

As far as the electives, take whatever you are interested in, and remember they are only a small introduction to the subject!

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    I feel and I am sure most will agree that you are planning way too far in advance.
    i agree with you too, i've already done the advanced, and although i dont carry much diving experience i feel very comfortable in the water, because ive been around water all my life. ive dived/ snorkelled/ freedived in many different conditions and faced obsticles here and there, but i've made it through. and just like you pointed out, that alone is experience.

Down here in bahrain, sea conditions arent as extreme as some other areas, and the marine life is not as diverse and dangerous, either. the dives i have done are mainly new areas which havent been explored before. ( stupid move i guess, but still very well calculated ).

with that in mind, i have diverted to spearfishing. since there's not much to see or do, might as well spearfish!

and that is why i'm planning way ahead. i know there is a lot to see out there, and compared to alot of you, my experience in close to nil. but thats the fun of it, i get to learn from you guys. and the next time i make a move, i have your advice ( and others') to consider.

thanks guys

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123