Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Independant Intructors: why? pros & cons?

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Well said! I see it all the time, "We want what you have" will produce more sales!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    Jersey Shore
    State
    PA
    Country
    USA

Default Independent Instructors

I embrace independent instructors and even new stores but I want to see them help the industry grow. That is not a matter of selling it cheaper or talking down other instructors, stores or agencies. Bring something good to the table, earn a honest living and treat people right.
    Last edited by Rich B; 03-21-2008 at 07:38 PM. Reason: fixed signature
    If I'm not here or in the store, I must be underwater!

City
    Country life for me
    State
    HI
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    I can't imagine why a dive store would not give employees equipment at cost plus shipping.

The most important thing would be the added draw/benefit of such coupled with the morale boost this would give compared to profiting off your success team.

Additionally, by having your team members equipped with pro gear that may have higher margins, your sales may be positively impacted by having students desiring to purchase products they see your staff using.

To raise your employee equipment purchases prices 10% above msrp, then discount it 25% off that is a morale crusher and represents an attitude of fostering an adversarial relationship with what is supposed to be your key success team players.
    I can't imagine why a shop would not do everything they can to get employees keyman pricing on the items that they want to sell to the students.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    I embrace independent instructors and even new stores but I want to see them help the industry grow. That is not a matter of selling it cheaper or talking down other instructors, stores or agencies. Bring something good to the table, earn a honest living and treat people right.
    I agree but, unfortunately with that attitude you are often labeled as "Not caring" or a "SCUBA mill only interested in profit". What most don't understand is the business model, they know diving but don't understand marketing. The above is a prime example of someone who doesn't understand. Our industry needs heroes and more positive exposure Clean up dives, charities, and other community activities are also good. Telling the truth about the environment is also important because how many think the reefs are about to disappear or die "So why bother"? We are systematically killing hope and our industry is at the front line. I like videos and photos that show the beauty and pristine areas that encourage people to "See for themselves". It is a much harder sell when "Jaws" type movies and news stories scare so many out of the water. We see people during thunderstorms playing golf, yet one bad shark story and "I am not going into that water".

Independent contractors are the standard of the industry, but what isn't is how they are treated by LDS! I have been a champion of contractual agreements between the parties so that all know what is expected of both parties and in addition I think it makes the "Real" Independent contractor what they say they are

A wise man once told me that "You don't bite the hand that feeds you"!
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Country
    USA

I confess to having had to look up "keyman pricing" but it appears more streamlined than my longer winded explanation, so thanks for the linguistics lesson Thal
    SMN Publisher

City
    Bay Shore
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

This seems a good place to ask "Do you know how to make a million dollars in the dive industry?"

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by BillGraham View Post
    This seems a good place to ask "Do you know how to make a million dollars in the dive industry?"
    Become a pirate..then you can dive down into the murky depths and bury your treasure somewhere. ROFL

Ow Aarrr me 'earties
    Lottie

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Quote Originally Posted by BillGraham View Post
    Mel fisher did! From Dive shop owner to Multi-Millionaire in only a life time! Price paid two family members and a best friend!

Backhanded, circular, indirect, obtuse, circuitous, oblique, tangential (or any other words I can come up with, lol) flames directed at members will be continue to be deleted.

If you have a different idea, state such, never flame the messenger on SMN.

Thanks!

Registered Users

Start with 2 million
    No alais Dive Chat in Ontario www.ontariodiving.com
    My Photo site all images copyrighted and permission needed to use.

and of course my site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast