Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: buying new kit. Amphibico or Gates

Country
    USA

The LM housings have the best macro flip down mechanisms I have seen. Good company too.
    SMN Publisher

Hi Salem,

If you are still looking, I have a complete HD kit for sale (Amphibico Phenom + Sony Fx1 + HID Pro light system and Macro kit)
    http://www.scubamagazine.net/showthr...highlight=sale
    Just contact me if you are interested, I am ready to negotiate !

Kind regards.

JM (Abyss Images)
    Jean-Marie Tholl

www.abyssimages.com

We humans have the ability to appreciate and understand with all our senses. Beyond these remain only our actions.
    Jean-Michel Cousteau

Country
    USA

Jean-Marie, I recognize the Inspiration rebreather but what housing and light system is that in your avatar? For some reason it looks like a Phenom housing but larger in relation to you.
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users
    City
    Brooklin
    State
    Ontario
    Country
    Canada

Having used Amphibico housings for all my SONY cameras over the years I can highly recommend their equipment. However, I do not have any practical experience with other manufacturer's equipment. One thing to seriously consider though is the weight of all of your gear and how often you are going to be transporting it through airports. It is becoming increasingly expensive and arduous to lug an Amphibico Phenom and accessories to dive locations all over the world. If I were doing it again I would opt for the SONY A1U, HC7 or HC9 cameras and the Amphibico Dive Buddy EVO HD Elite housing for travel and keep the big beasty close to home. Now, if close to home for you is within a few minutes boat ride out to the reef then the the SONY EX-1 is the way to go and stuff it inside a Gates housing with their optional tripod and HD monitor.

Country
    USA

David, I would agree in that the Phenom with the FX1 inside of it and some miscellaneous kit in the case comes right to the 70lb checked bagged limit, and I often make it 72-73 lbs. They tend to not fuss over a couple of pounds in a good case.

The few times I have to actually lug the thing around with my separate rebreather case, and my packed to the gills carry-on, oh, what a pain.

I sort of like just using porters for as much as possible.....it gives them income, I don't have to carry that stuff, so it works for all.

Some of these smaller 3 CMOS chip cameras are pretty slick, I would probably have to go to some pretty strong gauge readers though to be able to see the HD widescreen monitor that is on the back of some of these Amphibico housings.

With a sold state drive, I know Sony can make a smaller full HD 3 CCD videocam, they just need to get back to having LANC port or all of the electronic housings are going to go the way of the dinosaur.
    SMN Publisher

State
    WA
    Country
    USA

I used Amphibico for around 5 years and a few thousand dives but that was when they had a fully manual housing option. After some dreadful customer service issues and seeing that they changed to mostly electric control, i moved to Gates and have never had a problem. I use the Gates HVX200 housing now which is a bit of a hassle travelling with, but has worked flawlessly for 3 years and a few thousand dives.

Whatever you decide, stick to manual over electric controls.

Happy shooting

Country
    USA

So far after 3 years I have no had any issues with the electronic controls on the Phenom.

I don't think you can go too wrong with any of the Big 3.
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users

Default Silica gel alternatives

I have used ordinary band-aid as a sub for silica gel packs. Just cut to size, the portion without adhesive backing that goes on the wound, and voila as good or better than SG!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12