Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buying new kit. Amphibico or Gates

Registered Users
    City
    Dubai
    Country
    UAE

Default buying new kit. Amphibico or Gates

Hi, I would like to buy a camera + housing i'm thinking in getting the new EX1 camera from sony, but my concern is the Cards, they are too expensive. what else do you suggest form sony, Z1 or FX1.

i also would like to buy my housing, Amphibico or Gates. with amphibico i heard that the electronics will stop working after using for quite a while. and Gates, i know couple people who had leaking problems. i need some Help please!

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Most electronics will fail after being repeatedly exposed to conditions that encourage condensation. The best bet would be to use the silica moisture absorbent packs, but to seal each one individually in some sort of vacumn shrink wrap so that it is fresh each time you use it, & use new ones each time. Use as many as you can fit between the camera and the housing to get the moisture out fast. There are some other products out there than you can insert into the actual camera to help with internal moisture from condensation as well.

Also, get the largest card you can and the best batteries you can. The secret is to not have to open/close the housing that often. The downside to this would be that if something happened, you'd loose more if not all your pics.

If you don't mind lugging equipment around, there are also dehumidifer boxes/mini fridges where you can store your electronics in overnight to help with the moisture deep inside. But every second it is between the storage unit and the housing moisture creeps in so work fast.

Good luck.

Registered Users

Default Housing

I use a Sony HD3 in a Gates housing and Niterider lights. I've had the set for almost two years with zero problems, other than the ones I created.
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Country
    USA

I have never had any problems with my Amphibico Phenom housing after 3 years. There is not one spec of moisture corrosion in it even though the only places it has ever been is in the humid tropics.

The EX 1 does not have a LANC port from what we hear, and Gates has a waiting list for their housings for it.

The HC7 has quite a following.
    SMN Publisher

City
    Bay Shore
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

I just collect silica jell packets from pill bottles and keep them in a ziplock bag. You can lay them out on a cookie sheet and bake them at about 200 for a half hour and it will remove all the moisture, then put them back in the ziplock.

Carl at Sartek gave me some super water absorbing foam rubber stuff that works great, I'm sure he could fill you in on what it is, exactly. http://www.sarind.com/

Registered Users
    City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I use a Canon XHA1 and a GATES housing. It is fantastic, easy to use has heaps of functionality and I reckon it chucks out a picture that is as good if not better than the Z1. But that's just my opinion...

Jon

Country
    USA

That Canon videocam has quite a good reputation!
    SMN Publisher

Hi Salem,

Well, I am definitely an Amphibico fan, and have professionally used various model and always was very satisfied with the gear.
    As everything, it will depend on how you take care of your equipment ! I personally am a freak in controlling, cleaning and preparing my gear before and after every single dive !

I am selling a complete HD kit that you can find on this thread so if you are interested, don't hesitate to contact me !

Best regards

JM (Abyss Images)
    Jean-Marie Tholl

www.abyssimages.com

We humans have the ability to appreciate and understand with all our senses. Beyond these remain only our actions.
    Jean-Michel Cousteau

Registered Users

Default Amphibico or Gates

Both are excellent housings.
    I use Gate but I've seen folks use Amphibico and I sometimes wished I had
    an Amphibico. Not that gates is bad, just that they were able to get the
    Amphibico housing in areas I had to fight to get my Gates housing in.

By one of each...
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Registered Users

What about Light and Motion? There are good reviews for both Amphibico and Gates so I was just wondering about LMI?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast