Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Regulator advice needed

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Lottie,

I think the best point brought up here is the regular servicing of the regulator and where you can have it serviced. It may not be economical for you to have your own regulator if you can not have it serviced. This is important not only to warranty issues, but to your life and safety issues as well.

As you said yourself, check around the island and find out where the regulators are being serviced, someone surely is doing it. Then find out what brands they service and have ease of getting parts.

Now another thing to take into consideration is the service interval. The standard is every year, BUT some manufacturers have models that need service every other year. In your situation that may be a HUGE difference.

As far as the dry mouth issue, there are a few things you can do about this. As you already know the reason this happens is because the air is filtered as it is compressed, this makes the air clean and dry. This is very good because it keeps us from breathing concentrated amounts of impurities, and it also keep our cylinders and regulators dry and contaminant free. The one thing you can do to help is to drink plenty of water before you dive. Stay away from the coffee, tea and sodas. It really will make a difference.

Now when purchasing a new regulator, some 2nd stages breathe more moist than others. If you look at new 2nd stages at the dive shop, you will notice many regulators made of plastic, and some made of metal. Metal regulators generally will breathe more moist than plastic ones. The manufacturers know this, so some models have metal fins built in directly behind the mouth piece. These metal fins collect the moisture from your outgoing breath, and add the moisture to the dry incoming breath. This really makes a huge difference.

I have seen devices made to allow one to drink through their regulator, but I would not waste the money or time with that.

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Lottie,

As far as the dry mouth issue, there are a few things you can do about this. As you already know the reason this happens is because the air is filtered as it is compressed, this makes the air clean and dry. This is very good because it keeps us from breathing concentrated amounts of impurities, and it also keep our cylinders and regulators dry and contaminant free. The one thing you can do to help is to drink plenty of water before you dive. Stay away from the coffee, tea and sodas. It really will make a difference.

Now when purchasing a new regulator, some 2nd stages breathe more moist than others. If you look at new 2nd stages at the dive shop, you will notice many regulators made of plastic, and some made of metal. Metal regulators generally will breathe more moist than plastic ones. The manufacturers know this, so some models have metal fins built in directly behind the mouth piece. These metal fins collect the moisture from your outgoing breath, and add the moisture to the dry incoming breath. This really makes a huge difference.

I have seen devices made to allow one to drink through their regulator, but I would not waste the money or time with that.

Ditto what Ace said about hydration prior to diving! There are a myriad reasons to be properly hydrated while diving. As for this application, drinking loads of water (not caffinated drinks or alcohol) is the key. Believe it or not, a good nights sleep prior to diving is helpful as well.

As for the reg., go with the one that can be serviced ther on the island.

Registered Users

Default Treid and true

You can always try the old tried and true, the hoseless regulator.
    No moisture problem and nominal servicing...
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

City
    Bay Shore
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

One thing I love about cave diving is that a lot of the springs we dive in Florida have fantastic drinking water so you just pull your reg/mouthpiece out, take a drink, and stick it back in.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

And then stop at the Dr. to get some medicine before you spend the next few days in the bathroom.

City
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

And then stop at the Dr. to get some medicine before you spend the next few days in the bathroom.

Not even a little bit!!! This is the direct drinking water supply. I used to drink the water all the time when hanging on deco. and never had a problem! This is not wreck diving off of Jersey or diving in Mexico.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

If you drink the water off of New Jersey, just be sure to remove the medical waste from it first.

OMG, I can't even imagine how sick you would get from NJ water

I guess it has me so scared, I won't drink anything that I can swim in.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

I guess it has me so scared, I won't drink anything that I can swim in.
    Moreso if you just pee'd in your wetsuit...eeewwww
    Lottie

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
    Moreso if you just pee'd in your wetsuit...eeewwww
    Yea' what about that? How many divers have added their own little splash to the water, forget about it! Don't Drink The Water!

City
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Yea' what about that? How many divers have added their own little splash to the water, forget about it! Don't Drink The Water!

Oh for pete's sake!!!! This is crystal clear, fresh water that flows to the rivers in all of Florida. This water is flowing at a good clip, so.............. drink away
    Last edited by amtrosie; 04-23-2008 at 05:21 PM. Reason: misspelling

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast