Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Regulator advice needed

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    well you know they should be serviced every year.
    Now there's the thing ... is it should or must?

And does that depend on whether the reg is stuffed in the back of a wardrobe 50 weeks of the year and used for the other 2 or is used for 50 weeks of the year and not for the other two? - discuss
    Lottie

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
    Now there's the thing ... is it should or must?

And does that depend on whether the reg is stuffed in the back of a wardrobe 50 weeks of the year and used for the other 2 or is used for 50 weeks of the year and not for the other two? - discuss

Do a search on this subject, we beat it to death about 6 months ago. I think! The last six months have been a whirlwind for me.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

I don't remember that discussion...maybe my short term memory is slowly going.

Update : it's okay, i found it and I remember now...i need to get my brain fixed
    Last edited by lottie; 03-13-2008 at 03:41 AM.
    Lottie

Well it's a must to keep any warranty, and the should is a personal choice. Letting it sit could possible be worse. If your not using it every day but maybe 5-10 dives a month I personally feel service every 18-24 months or so is fine. I get my reg bench tested semi regularly so I feel fine extending the year time period. Plus last time I got my reg overhauled it took them three times to get it right. No it wasn't sport shalet or some other joke, but a good dive shop. Like amtrose said there was a long thread about this.

City
    Bay Shore
    State
    New York
    Country
    United States

I'm thinking you should check and see what regs your LDS carries and services.

The dry throat is caused by the very dry gas you are breathing from scuba tanks. Not much you can do about that except switch to a CCR, or (much cheaper) carry a small bottle of water with the pull out top.

My preference is for Poseidon Odins because they are unidirectional and work well for just about everything, but I understand that parts are becoming a problem due to a corporate re-org.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

My LDS use ScubaPro. I think I need to ask a couple of friends up there about servicing of regs before i fly out to the UK.

Thanks for all responses.
    Lottie

City
    London
    Country
    UK

Scubapro definitely get my vote, I've been using them since I started, I've had no issues with them at all , most of my regular buddies use them as well (I originally bought MK17/S500, upgraded to MK25/S600 when I needed extra sets). No idea of a reasonable price I'm afraid, I tend to get cheeky deals

Pop and see Kitty in Dive Solutions in Fulham, she'll help you out (www.dive-solutions.com). Alternatively, there's Mikes Waterfront Warehouse in Chiswick, can't give you a personal opinion, but I haven't heard anything bad said about them.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Thanks for that Bottlefish - i'll make a note of those places and make sure i check them out
    Lottie

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
    My LDS use ScubaPro. I think I need to ask a couple of friends up there about servicing of regs before i fly out to the UK.

ScubaPro are definantely a good reg. The MK 25 are balanced piston
    1rst stages. You will have a reg that will go any where and do any type of diving that you will ever get into. Go for it!!!

Country
    USA

Some manufacturers suggest every two years.....I know the figure in any case is completely arbitrary....My open circuit Oceanic Omega reg would get rebuilt about every 3-4 years.
    SMN Publisher

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast