Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Regulator advice needed

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Default Regulator advice needed

Okay, so i'm thinking about getting a regulator (as in everything - the tubes, primary stage, reg and alternate) when I go over to the UK in May and need some advice about which ones are the better ones to get.

I don't want to order over the internet as shipping to St Lucia is a complete nightmare, is too expensive and I'd prefer to see what i'm actually getting.

Another point as well is that on a few occasions while i've been diving, the back of my throat has got dry, so i've had to cough and try and swallow - is there a type of reg that will not give me a dry throat?

For those of you that are in the UK - what's a reasonable price for a reg? and any suggestions of where to go (within London if possible)

TIA.
    Lottie

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Basic gear: Apeks is generally loved in the UK. Mares also has a good reputation, but that varies regionally depending on their quality of service and customer/product support. Old school die hards (& strutters) tend to buy anything Scubapro.

It usually depends on who you dive with and your style of diving. One shop can be anti-mares while another is anti-aqualung.

Get the best you can afford for your style & type of diving & make sure that it is comfortable in your mouth. A few I had borrowed/rented were too heavy and my jaw ached. So I was lucky to get to try before buying.

Have you thought of buying in the US? The prices are much cheaper, even minus VAT. & shorter distance to send for service.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Keep it simple! Get something that travels the world and you can get parts for it in PNG or similar places! If you get complicated and you travel it is not a good combination! If you are always going to dive with or near your LDS then you can go exotic and be safe! Keep it simple!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

littleleemur - thanks for the response.

I haven't thought of buying in the US as i'm going to be going to the UK and thought while i'm there, i'll see about getting a reg. Which i would prefer to see in real-life, rather than look on the internet. plus the shipping costs to here are astronomical and the custom charges that i'd have to pay
    Lottie

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Umm. Anyone here that is going to St. Lucia that can carry one over for Lottie? I would but I can't fly for a while

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

A thought:

Have you considered which regulators that can be serviced there on the island? I have several suggestions for good durable performing regs., but it becomes moot if they can not serviced regularly.

......................food for thought...................

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Hummm? Did I read that somewhere? Good advice! I would keep it simple as well!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

I've used cheap cheap school regs to my personal, pretty expensive regs and there isn't a huge difference. They all do their job, some just do it better. Personally I love my scuba pro MK25 and still haven't every quite got use to my maximus. The hose seems too short when it's under my arm. Get what you've used if your happy, and like what others said get what can be serviced since that's a factor for you. About the dry mouth, the maximus and other sherwood regs have a metal thing in the second stage that they claim helps. I've never noticed a difference but I don't normally have that problem.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by amtrosie View Post
    A thought:

Have you considered which regulators that can be serviced there on the island? I have several suggestions for good durable performing regs., but it becomes moot if they can not serviced regularly.
    Regulators - being serviced over here??? Ha, you are joking....

I think if they did need servicing, it wouldn't be what you guys in the developed world would envisage of servicing, but maybe a friend of mine (who dives) might be able to service or check them out for me
    Lottie

well you know they should be serviced every year. Personally I feel that's a little much so I ususally go by a number of dives along with a combination of time. My newer reg, I had for 2yrs and haven't serviced it, but it will be going in pretty soon.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast