Thread: Loreto

Default Loreto

I've been to a resort down in baja California called Eden Loreto and did lots of diving around Loreto.

Visibility was around 60 feet and it was like supercharged SoCal diving on steroids with warmer water and some tropicals.

They have a clothing optional beach there which was nice and clean that they only allow guests there so no leering locals.

I believe this is now called the "Inn at Loreto Bay". We were there last October. The hotel was absolutely terrible. Hot water cut off at odd times. Power outages. VERY poor service. Food was passable, but certainly not what I would expect at "the best" resort in Loreto.

Being a Land SUrveyor, I am more than a bit familiar with UBC and safe building practices. In my opinion, the building is in terrible shape. I took photographs of gapping, un-re-enforced holes in walls, electrical nightmares and other faults that would have shut the place down north of the border.

Now, having trashed the accomodations, the Dolphin Dive Center, with whom we dived, was absolutely fantastic! Susan and Bruce are wonderful hosts. Raphael, or DM and Salvator, our boat Captain, were without peers. We aksed to see turtles, they showed us turtles. I asked to see a nudibranch, Raphael found more than a few for me on the next dive!

In fact, the diving and the treatment we had with Dolphin Dive Center moved this trip into one of the top 10 ever for Laura and me. Yes! DDC is really that good!

2 out of 10 for the Inn. 20 out of 10 for the DDC.

Registered Users

I dove with Dolphin Dive center about 7 years ago....went there in late June thru first week of July....vis maybe 30' and green....thermoclines to 68 degrees...Yikes

City
    Vista
    State
    California
    Country
    USA

Default Loreto and Mulege

Just got back from a camping/diving/snorkling trip to Mulege and Loreto in Baja CA, Mexico. First I have to say that the diving at Loreto was fantastic! I dove with Dolphin Dive Center, while I at first thought it a bit expensive, it was one of the best diving experiences I have had. Small groups, great destination, lots of bottom time (used up all my no deco time on each dive), all around just a pleasure to deal with. Pictures on my photo bucket at:

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x...Mexico%202008/

Did the long drive down to Loreto from San Diego, about 750 miles each way. While the driving was a bit slow on the narrow, winding road there were no problems, lots of military checkpoints but they were always pleasant. Arrived in Mulege to camp and went to the Orchards, a very pretty development for houses and some RV's. The owner was quite friendly but didn't tell us the water service was out, while it may not have been her fault I felt she should have let us know. Ended up flushing the toilets with a bucket from the river.

Spent the couple of days in Mulege snorkling and diving at El Burro Beach and Coyote Beach. Coyote was probably the most beautiful but the snorkling was better at El Burro. Dive depth were to about 20 feet and the water very warm (85-88 degrees) lots of fish, decent visibility of around 30 feet. Did a dive at one of the islands in the bay and the visibility on top was around 30 feet but below was a thermocline and almost zero visibility. Mostly a sand dive but there were still a lot of fish and some interesting invertebrates.

In Loreto we camped at the El Morro Hotel and RV, much better deal $15/day, had hot showers and was clean and quiet. Was about a block from the marina and Dolphin Dive Shop.

Country
    USA

Nice report and photos! I looked at everyone of them. It must be really relaxing to just take off and drive wherever you want, ask locals where the spots are, try them out, camp out, eat, repeat the next day, lol
    SMN Publisher

City
    Vista
    State
    California
    Country
    USA

Default Loreto and Mulege

I culled down from over 1000 pictures. Was a great trip and I plan to go back later this year.