Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 5 mm wetsuit suggestions/opinions

Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    I am amazed you dove a 7mm wetsuit in icy conditions and were fine. I am getting cold just thinking about it in my office behind the desk! I can't see how a 5mm would work in those conditions, but maybe you were a polar bear in a past life, lol
    To be accurate, I didn't dive under or in ice. In my locale we refer to the hard cold in spring fed lakes under the thermocline as soft ice. It is a real shock to go from 50's water to 39 or so. The 7 mm was fine for me in those conditions.

I wouldn't be diving a 5 mm. Under the 5 mm would be the 2 mm polyofin, so 7 mm warmth with 5 mm bouyancy. And what I actually did was to get the Pinnacle 3 mm. I'll see how I do with that in the conditions that I dive up here. If I need more, I'll get another Henderson polyofin and keep to 3 mm bouyancy. I hate lead. The damn tank is heavy enough for a guy my age.
    The only thing I believe in is disbelief - except in the case of unexpected miracles.

Country
    USA

The term soft ice did confuse me a bit, but then again, that is not hard to do...thanks for the clarification. Of course, at 39 degrees, I would still freeze my tail off in a 7mm with anything under it.
    SMN Publisher

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I am freezing just thinking about it.

I MISS FLORIDA!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234