Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5 mm wetsuit suggestions/opinions

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

I thought about semi-dry after I posted that; I know some who have used them that like them and some that hate them. Those I know who have gone the merino lined route love them, touting how warm they are compared to just neoprene, but they hate the stench after they have sweated in them a few times. Xcel makes an excellent wetsuit; have a couple of friends that use them exclusively for cave diving and swear they have yet to get cold. For their longer dives they just place heat packs inside and stay toasty throughout.
    DeWayne aka Gobwats

The safest way to dive solo is to refuse to dive with an idiot.
    Dave Sutton

Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum
    - Ambrose Bierce (1906, Devil's Dictionary)

I've never thought about heat packs. Do they just use instant heat packs or something else? Also good to hear that about xcel's. I think I'll have to give them a shot.

Country
    Canada

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the input guys. I've got a few ideas to work with now. Thankfully I don't have to go beyond a 5mm.

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    I've never thought about heat packs. Do they just use instant heat packs or something else? Also good to hear that about xcel's. I think I'll have to give them a shot.
    Not sure what the brand was, but they were of the larger variety (large enough that one would cover your lumbar area) and reusable-I think they just put them into boiling water or something like that to recharge. I will see if I can dig up the info they passed along about them a few years back. The only problem either of them ever reported with using the heat packs was placement to prevent skin burns (seems like they were wrapping them in something to avoid direct contact.) They were doing some 3+ hour dives in 68-72F water wearing 3mil suits, and were warmer than some folks, doing less in dry suits, when they surfaced.
    DeWayne aka Gobwats

Dave Sutton

That would be great to know if you could find any info. I'm suprised they would last that long.

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

The heat packs are the gel ones where you flex a metal disc that is floating around inside when you use it the first time. It hardens and becomes opaque after the first use and you'll have to boil it until all of it is clear to re-use it. 2 types are generally available, with & without the metal disk. Those without can be reheated v. carefully in the microwave.

http://www.roshgo.com/Merchant2/merc...c01/CTGY/00602

Some sort of fanny pack/vest with strategically placed pockets is usually used to prevent burns as you can't adjust underwater.

As for the instant ones, the problem is how the chemicals react with each other under pressure.
    Last edited by littleleemur; 03-03-2008 at 03:57 PM.

Registered Users
    State
    Country
    Canada

Default Wetsuits in Canada

Bare offers good product support in Canada and I love their range of sizes. However, sometimes their stitching can come loose & if you have a good LDS they will just send it in for you & Bare will repair it at no additional charge

However, I personally prefer my Henderson Gold 7mm over the Bare 5mm. The Henderson Gold 7mm is much more flexible and comfortable than any other 5mm I've tried (& I've tried a lot of them). If you do decide to go the Henderson route, order their "Core Warmer" package. You get 2 pieces for the price of 1 which helps offset the cost.

Registered Users
    State
    Country
    Canada

Default more heat packs

As I seem to be unable to edit my post above, here's another heatpack that seems to be the similar to the Japanese one above:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...37&catid=44690

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by littleleemur View Post
    The heat packs are the gel ones where you flex a metal disc that is floating around inside when you use it the first time. It hardens and becomes opaque after the first use and you'll have to boil it until all of it is clear to re-use it. 2 types are generally available, with & without the metal disk. Those without can be reheated v. carefully in the microwave.

http://www.roshgo.com/Merchant2/merc...c01/CTGY/00602

Some sort of fanny pack/vest with strategically placed pockets is usually used to prevent burns as you can't adjust underwater.

As for the instant ones, the problem is how the chemicals react with each other under pressure.
    That be the critters, although the ones I saw close up appeared to be encased in some sort of vinyl covering. I cannot seem to recall if they were wearing light garments under their suits or what, I just know they were avoiding direct contact with their skin by having a barrier in place with the heat packs riding comfortable between the barrier and the inside of the suit. These guys do tend to get cold on ling dives, so to hear them report staying warm through deco (motionless, the ideal time for cold to set in) said a lot about the products they were using. I'll get in touch with them to see if they still have a copy of what they posted a few years back as well as any possible updates (I do know that both Gary and Moonfuzzy still dive wet.)
    DeWayne aka Gobwats

Dave Sutton

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Found the packs that they use: http://www.9thtee.com/reheater.htm pretty much the same thing as was shown before. I also found their anti-burn secret-they wore 2-piece suits (I could have sworn I had seen them in a one-piece the day we discussed these at the spring, but you know what they say about age and memory) placing the packs between the farmer john and the outer jacket. Moonfuzzy did say that she got chilled doing long scooter dives (not much swimming to generate heat) but was good when swimming and then during deco (after swim dives.)
    DeWayne aka Gobwats

Dave Sutton

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast