Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Which Camcorder?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Camcorder?

Registered Users

Talking Which Camcorder?

Hello All,

I recently bought Fujifilm F50fd camera & housing and whilst on holiday found I prefer the video to the still pics. However this camera cannot white balance in movie mode so I'm thinking of buying a true camcorder.

Can anyone recommend something compact, similar to the compact still cameras, as I don't fancy lugging something else around whilst diving (isn't the necessary kit sufficient to carry?!!).

I don't want professional or broadcast quality, just something I can edit together to make a short dvd to show friends and family what we saw whilst on the diving trips. I only dive in warm, clear water too 'cause I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to cold water!!

I've been looking at the new Sanyo Xacti HD1000 - anyone know anything about this camcorder?

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks for your time.

Little Jem

Hi LJ,

Do they even make a housing for that little videocam?

Registered Users

Apparently so. Housing retails for £180 and camcorder for approx. £420.

Little Jem

Registered Users
    City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I actually know someone with the Xacti, it produces ok results but nothing fantastic but it is at a great price point. But as you are shooting in good conditions you may get better results.
    The next jump up really would be something like the single cmos chip cameras like the HV20/30 from Canon or the Sony HC9/7. But you would be looking at $1500 US for camera and another $1500 for housing, which is a fair amount more but you will see significant picture quality.
    I believe that you can add a WA wet lens onto the Sanyo too, not sure whether you would get any distortion though.

Registered Users

Hello Jon,

Thanks for the info. Still investigating and researching at this stage. It's mainly the compact size that attracts me to the Xacti (big isn't always better?!!!!!!).

Little Jem

Registered Users
    City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Well if you want small and compact then the Sanyo is the puppy. The mate I know who uses it actually shoots stills with a D200 and has the Sanyo to shoot video on the same dive. He just puts it in a BCD pocket when not in use.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

It all depends on your budget and what you want to do! If you can afford it get a three chip HD camera! HDV will be within the normal budget for this kind of camera and look for a HDMI connection and a Fire-Wire. HDMI will get you HD right to your TV and if you have the right connection uncompressed HD video to your Computer and editing program! Brands and Housing are up to you, but remember one chip cameras do not do well in low light and good lights can run over $3000! If you can afford it go with the AU-1 0r FX-1. HDC-7 is also a good camera and Canon makes some great three chip cameras! Be sure you can also afford the housing!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Country
    USA

The Sony FX1 is the beast in my avatar photo. The Xacti sure is small!

SMN Publisher

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

White balance control is another factor and is why I was asking what you wanted to do? Size maybe a consideration? But the smaller so far means you lose quality and controls, but you gain portability!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Registered Users
    City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Bit of a dfferent league Sanyo Xacti to FX1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast