Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: where would you go feb 2009?

Registered Users

Default where would you go feb 2009?

okay winter is almost over time to plan next winters trip. where should i go this time. I've been to Bahamas, Bonaire, Australia, and Philippines. I would go back to the Philippines b/c of the great diving and good value. but I'd like to try something new. how is wakatobi that time of the year?

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

I'm being biased and would say the caribbean..

yeah, i know you've already said that you've done the Bahamas and Bonaire, but there are other islands in the caribbean that have great diving as well - and don't start with the letter B .

What about a trip around Saba and Statia (Eustatius), Aruba or Curacao, Dominica or Guadeloupe. What about the Grenadines (loads of islands, loads of wrecks!!) and...dare I say it....St Lucia
    Lottie

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Have you considered Grenada? Late in the year it is gorgeous hanging from a canopy in the sky (even at night); I have always wanted to go back to see what it looks like from an aquatic view point.

As you said Philippines is a great value I hope to be making my third trip there later this year. You said somewhere different though

I think Thailand would be a great choice too. I made a trip there in November 2006 for Loi Krathong. I went to Chiang Mai in northern Thailand where I attended Thai Massage school for two weeks. Also did the usual sightseeing, temples, elephant rides in the jungle, muay thai bouts... A very cool place to take a vacation No diving on that trip, but I still had a great time. I'll dive the next time I go. Here are a few links to get you started:

http://www.diveadventuresasia.com/index.htm
    http://www.seadragondivecenter.com/index.htm http://www.scubacat.com/en/general_information/ http://www.southsiamdivers.com/
    http://www.sea-bees.com/eng/index.htm http://www.divecentrepattaya.com/

Return to the Philippines.
    If you've been to one of the following, go to one of the others.
    Puerto Galera; Anilao; Malapascua; Moalboal; Mactan; Cabilao; Panglao; Dumagete; Palawan; Culasi; Subic.
    Diving in the Philippines is varied and you can always find something new. I was just in the Philippines, and picked up a magazine with and article written by Scotty Tuason, he has been diving in Anilao since 1977 and was recently introduced to a 'new' area in Anilao, he was surprised when he dove this area for the first time. You too can find somewhere 'new' to dive.
    Go to the Philippines.

Quote Originally Posted by h2odragon1 View Post
    Return to the Philippines.
    If you've been to one of the following, go to one of the others.
    Puerto Galera; Anilao; Malapascua; Moalboal; Mactan; Cabilao; Panglao; Dumagete; Palawan; Culasi; Subic.
    Diving in the Philippines is varied and you can always find something new. I was just in the Philippines, and picked up a magazine with and article written by Scotty Tuason, he has been diving in Anilao since 1977 and was recently introduced to a 'new' area in Anilao, he was surprised when he dove this area for the first time. You too can find somewhere 'new' to dive.
    Go to the Philippines.
    This is what I would personally do. Not to many places that you will get better value for your money. I only mentioned Thailand because they wanted to go someplace different.

Even though I haven't been diving in Thailand yet, I'll most likely be going to the Philippines again before I go to Thailand. I'll need at least three more trips to have seen most of the major diving spots there. I'm talking 2-3 weeks each time. I'm thinking about doing 4 weeks there next year. Thats in addition to the 3 1/2 weeks I've already done and the 2-3 weeks I'll do later this year.

Most people could spend all their yearly vacation time there over a period of years and still not see it all. I doubt I'll really have the chance to thoroughly explore the Philippines unless I move there

The problem with the Philippines I always say is that there are just to MANY great places to dive!

City
    London
    Country
    UK

Andaman Islands off Thailand are well worth a visit in Feb, as are the Maldives.

Also, the east coast of South Africa, Aliwal Shoals and Proteus Banks, combined with a trip up to Momzambique?

I was out in Sudan Red Sea this Feb, some of the best diving I've done - very healthy coral with loads of reef fish, and plenty of shark encounters as well (schooling hammerheads, balck tip, greys, reef sharks and potential for oceanics and tigers). The water's a bit cooler, around 24 degrees, but still worth it (there's a brief trip report and link to photos here Sudan Trip Report and Photos - ScubaMagazine.net Forum)

City
    Phuket
    Country
    Thailand

Default Come to Thailand

If you are looking for a new destination where there is great diving and good value, come to Thailand. Every single February and March I try to get to the Similans/Surins in Thailand's Andaman Sea. This is the time of year that the big animals make their appearance. The water is flat, the skies are clear, and Thailand is a waking dream.

Q.

PS You are aware that Wakatobi is far from inexpensive, right? Having said that, it's fantastic diving nonetheless!

Registered Users

thanks for the replies. I think I will prob end up back in the Philippines or maybe Thailand. If I did atlantic it would be Bonaire or Belize, but the the atlantic reefs kind of bore me

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Quote Originally Posted by BamaCaveDiver View Post
    Have you considered Grenada? Late in the year it is gorgeous hanging from a canopy in the sky (even at night); I have always wanted to go back to see what it looks like from an aquatic view point.
    Hell of a way to get a vacation! LOL I bet it would be a different point of view and not as many Cubans around, unless you count the cigars!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast