Thread: Traveling with tanks

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    No compressed air at all, travelers must remove the valve too. They will not take a cylinder with a closed valve on it. They think it will be full of a bio-weapon, and divers will unleash it upon unsuspecting holiday travelers.

Airlines are quite dry environments, it is when you release the air to empty the tank too quickly that you can get condensation. Likewise, if the tank is cold, and you take it out empty with no valve into a warm, humid environment, you could theoretically cause condensation to occur.

Believe it or not, it is easier to transport a bottle by air than it is by truck. I recently moved across country and was dismayed to discover that a scuba tank will not be transported, period!! Removing the valves will not alter that edict. This apparently is something new from the DOT. Shipping is still allowed. Go figure!

now that doesn't make sense at all. I'm assuming you mean in a moving truck that you couldn't put them into??

City
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    now that doesn't make sense at all. I'm assuming you mean in a moving truck that you couldn't put them into??

Correct!

Having just been through a Hazardous materials class, I can only presume that transportation for commerace has something to do with this.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

It can be moved once certified empty! This might be helpful!
    http://www.lentztransfer.com/_fileCa...r_Pre_move.pdf
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Also this one is put out by the government and is the rule for the military when moving!
    http://www.usap.gov/logistics/documents/LO-A-100.pdf
    Again they must be "Certified Empty"!
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

When moving house a few years back, the moving company did mention our scuba tanks, but since we were planning on diving along the way it didn't become an issue.

I am curious though, what are the steps to get them to move my tanks if I relocated to the west coast?

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Read at the links I posted! They have to be "Certified Empty" with out the valves! Our LDS did just that, "Certified them as Empty" and plugged them with plastic caps! The US Air Force logistics moved them after that by moving van to Key West for my friend!

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

oops. my mistake. I missed the Lentz link.

Thanks PB!

City
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    Read at the links I posted! They have to be "Certified Empty" with out the valves! Our LDS did just that, "Certified them as Empty" and plugged them with plastic caps! The US Air Force logistics moved them after that by moving van to Key West for my friend!

Given the information I cited was a Federal Regulation ( I'll retrieve it tomorrow at work), not a directive from a moving company, I am going with the regulation. As for the pamphlet for the military, that does not constitute a federal reg either, and they may have an exemption, that civilians can not enjoy.

I know the reg is in CFR 49 part 170's though for the rest of the law-abiding population. (I'll not divulge how I finally got my tanks to me)

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

That's why the tanks have DOT on them! They fall under (When full) compressed gas regulation (haz-mat)! The military uses civilian van lines! They don't have green moving & storage trucks! I have been around the trucking industry for 56 years and I have it right as to the moving of SCUBA tanks that are certified empty! How do you think they get them to the wholesalers and the shops? By truck! The regulations you cite are about any gas cylinder on interstate highways and also subject to some local state laws that most chips, smokies, and cops have no idea about! So if a "Moving company has a policy I can tell you it is one that has been well researched!

Sounds like you had the wrong company! Period!
    Last edited by Papa Bear; 03-13-2008 at 03:51 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast