Thread: O2

Default O2

So this is for any of you who have some medical training dealing with O2. Were you taught to fully open the tank, fully open then a quarter turn back, just one turn, something else? I've always been taught to fully open then a little twist back. I did a quick yahoo search and I only found evidence to support that.(I just did a quick search so I'm not saying it's not out there) I just had to go through a DAN O2 class which was quite possible the biggest waste of time, it was everything I already knew dumbed down about 100X. Some of the things they taught I don't agree with, one of them being just to open the O2 tank one full turn.

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

TBH I don't recall this even coming up during my O2 admin course. We were simply taught to get the O2 flowing into the casualty. AFAIK most valves will permit the flow of gas with as little as half a turn. However, I haven't been near an O2 rig since the course so thanks for reminding me of something else I must revisit.
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

I have heard it for this as well as other gases. With O2 the most critical factor is being sure to open the valve slowly to avoid adiabatic heating. One could argue that a partially closed valve presents an obstruction in the flow path that could potentially lead to adiabatic heating; that is how I have always looked at it, so mine are always opened slowly all the way.

Bama I agree even after looking online that's all I could find so I don't see why DAN only says one turn when I can't find any supporting evidence. DAN's reason is the fire triangle so it can be turned off right away. Some of the newer valves are fully open with just one turn so I guess that's the solution.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/pdfs/98f23.pdf
    I pasted the part about opeing the tank because it is kind of long. It's on P.8 right hand side)

Additionally, operators should be instructed to first
    open the cylinder valve slowly, letting the regulator
    pressurize, and then fully open the cylinder valve.
    What often happens is that the operator opens the
    valve just slightly, then sees the gauge register
    pressure, and then doesn’t fully open the cylinder
    valve. Fully opening the cylinder valve has two
    positive effects: 1) When the valve is not fully
    opened it can cause deformation of the cylinder
    seat valve and this has been suspected to be an
    ignition source; 2) Opening the cylinder valve
    against the stem gasket (i.e., fully opening and
    back seating the valve) helps keep oxygen from
    leaking past the stem gasket during use. 7

Here's another website that gave a nice picture along with a very simular procedure:

We're dealing with an oxygen tank here. No question one of the three elements of FIRE is readily available. If we just "crank the tank" to the open position (with the yoke assembly in place) there is a very real possibility that we will produce a significant amount of heat in that area (shown in red.) Now...the second of the three elements of FIRE is available. So where's the third? Remember our suggestion above that you handle the equipment with 'gloved hands?' Well, the third of the three elements of FIRE is available from YOUR skin if you decide to handle the equipment with unprotected skin.

http://www.emergencymedicaled.com/23...Management.htm

(look about 3/4 of the way down for the pic of the reg.)

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

The remark about being able to close the valve quicker in the event of a fire only makes sense if it is an external fire in the close vicinity of the cylinder. Oxygen flash is not a slow process, it is rather fast, so by the time you reached for the valve in the case of an internal flash, it has already done its thing (how fast you can close the valve is fairly moot at that point, at least to me-I'd rather make use of that time to run.)

The remark about fully opening the valve causing deformation of the seat does makes some sense if you are in the habit of torquing the valve in the open position (sadly, I have met several who do this.) I try to approach full open, stopping just short of resistance to turning (open enough valves and you can almost sense it, open them slowly as you should and you can feel when you are there.)

Thanks for posting those links, there is some pretty good info on those pages

No problem, and again I fully agree. I just pissed off the instructor, who I had far more training then with O2 and found those site to prove that I was right so then I decided to pass them on since I thought someone would find them helpful.