Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goin' Dry

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Some of the newer compressed neoprene suits are really sweet as well. It really depends on the diver and the type of diving. I know a lot of old timers that swear by their old Poseidon Unisuits (thick neoprene dry suit). I personally dive a Tri-Lam and like it very much, it is nice because I can use it year round where I live.

Ace

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Good point, however most new dry suit buyers are going the tri-lam route. I know he said he bought the Bare Nex-Gen Laminate style suit, so it will not provide any insulation.
    Hey all,

Yes, these are laminate suits. Pretty basic, but I only paid $100 apiece for them, including brand new neck seals. They are our first drysuits, and I'm sure they won't be the last. Gotta start somewhere, and for one lousy scuba-buck, I figure the suits were well worth it.

We're hitting the pool with a friend who has been diving dry for a few years next weekend, and the quarry in a couple of weeks. Wish us luck.

Mountain Dog
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

WOW, now that IS the scuba deal of the year!

We both know that they are not the best dry suits made, but they are still not bad. They are made by a reputable company and will get you started. Like I have said a million times before, once you go dry, you will never go back.

I know a bunch of divers with the next-gen suits and they work great for travel because of their weight and packability. Be careful around wrecks and sharp objects, but if you do get a puncture or tear they can be fixed fairly easily. You can also do some things to protect the dry suits. Some divers wear knee pads of some sort to protect the weakest spot. I have seen some divers get coveralls and actually wear them OVER their dry suits to prevent them from getting trashed on a wreck. That may be overkill, but some knee pads would not be.

All I know is that you WILL get your money out of them. In fact, if you don't like them, let me know and I will give you what you paid for them! ---Seriously.

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

I couldn't believe it myself. I wasn't even in the market for drysuits when I stumbled across the deal. Of course, as I mentioned earlier, I'm sure that this will be just the beginning of our "dry" equipment purchases.

But since LadyDog and I are from Michigan and Wisconsin respectively, we've always wanted to dive the Great Lakes wrecks back home. Now we can't wait to visit relatives this summer. "Hi, mom. Here's the grandkids. We're going diving. See you all in a few days"....

Thanks, everyone, for the tips on getting started. Ace, we have to hook up with you at Willow Springs this year. We'll be the ones in the matching Nex-Gen suits.

Mountain Dog

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Dog,

I am so excited for you both. I still can't believe how much better diving dry is and how much more I dive because of it. I have used it in pretty warm water with total comfort as well, just buy adjusting my insulation layer. In my opinion anything that requires more than a 3mm wetsuit, means dive it dry. I think you will be just as spoiled as soon as you get a few dives in with them.

There is a little learning curve with them, so take it easy for the first few dives. Be aware of the amount of air inside your suit at all times, but especially when changing depth!

As far as Willow, let me know as soon as you are ready! What are you doing this weekend? Want to freeze your nuts off?

Registered Users

Default Now that depends

I just tape a bunch of Depends together, then wrap it all around me
    for insulation and other things.. Duck tape works wonders and holds up
    well when it gets wet...

:-O
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Dog,

As far as Willow, let me know as soon as you are ready! What are you doing this weekend? Want to freeze your nuts off?
    I can't think of anything I would rather be doing. But, this month is pretty much a bust for us...working for a living sucks. We'll be getting a pool session in before month's end, but that's about it. In early May our club is heading down to Lake Rawlings for a weekend of cold water. After that, I'll be thinking about Willow.

I'll PM you when some possible dates open up.

Mountain Dog

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Let me know I would love to get together for some underwater fun.

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

Finally got the dry suits in the water (other than the pool - BORING!) this past weekend at Lake Rawlings. All I can say is, WOW!!! Dry is definitely the way to go in cold water. Ace, you're right. I'm spoiled. Anything that requires more than 3 mil is getting the dry suit from now on. Maybe I should sell my 7mil.

The first dive was a bit interesting, but neither one of us really had much trouble getting used to controlling our buoyancy. Our feet were getting a little positive on us for a while, but by the end of the second dive we had that under control. By the third dive the suit felt like an old friend. Even LadyDog, who is never too excited about cold water diving, was loving life. She's already talking about some Great Lakes wreck trips this summer. I can't wait.

Thanks to everyone who offered help and advice on this thread. The experiences you relayed to us were very helpful.

DRY ROCKS!!!

Mountain Dog

Sounds great I might be trying it soon. I was offered a DUI flx 50/50 which I believe is a pretty good suit for an ok price, well a lot better than new but I was wondering how long they last. The suit was used once in a pool and has been in storage for nine years. It looks good pretty much new but is that kind of old that will require a lot of service?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12