Thread: Goin' Dry

Hybrid View

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I agree as well, the course is a joke. I have a PDF file that has all of the course info. in it. I will try to find it and send it to you. We learned without the course, by reading the PDF file, asking questions and practice in the safety of our local quarry. It took me 15 minutes or so to get used to making the adjustments and we spent time practicing turning upright when our feat were above our heads. After about 5-10 dives, it will become so natural, you won't even remember making adjustments while diving. You will however, after the first dive most likely swear to never dive wet (ie. cold) again.

You can use your wetsuit hood and gloves with the dry suit. I have dry gloves and rings, but I still like the wet suit gloves better unless it is REALLY cold.

As far as undergarments, there are really expensive sets out there, but there are really good deals to be had as well. Just remember that the dry suit only keeps you dry, and not warm. You will most likely want to wear something pretty warm underneath in the water you dive. I would suggest some thick polar tech style fleece and maybe some wicking long underwear under that. Some nice warm wool socks and you should be set. You can always add some layers if you need to. I have found the Polar Tech fleece on ebay for about $70/set new. I have also seen used DUI sets sell for $20 (I bought that set).

One more comment on undergarments... what you use will be somewhat dependent on the suit you decide on and the water temp that you're diving in. If you get a neoprene drysuit then you will get some insulation from the suit itself. A trilaminate type you'll be pretty much totally dependent on your undergarments for warmth.

I dive in a neoprene drysuit and all I've ever worn under it is a thin set of polarmax. I've been fine. A month ago when the water temp was down in the mid-40's, I start to feel cold about 30-40 minutes into the dive. Water temps in the 50's and above I feel fine doing an hour dive. I've been using my 3mm wetsuit hood and 2mm gloves all winter. I will admit thinking I needed something a little more when diving in water in the 40's )

Everyone is right about the cold.... I'll probably stay in my drysuit until the water temp is warm enough to go back to my 3mm

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Good point, however most new dry suit buyers are going the tri-lam route. I know he said he bought the Bare Nex-Gen Laminate style suit, so it will not provide any insulation.

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Good point, however most new dry suit buyers are going the tri-lam route. I know he said he bought the Bare Nex-Gen Laminate style suit, so it will not provide any insulation.
    ahh... I missed that. I ended up going neoprene because I got a good deal and because I'm cheap

I did consider trilam. At the time I was a little short of cash and I needed something then. I also only thought that I was going to need it for one winter and maybe part of the next one. Now that I'm extending in Japan I'll be using it for two winters and part of the following one. I may still end up moving to a trilam depending on where my follow-on orders are too.

I get choice of coast and I'll probably choose west coast. If I end up in Washington state then I'll definitely move up to a trilaminate. I hear that the water there gets pretty cold in the winter. Probably similar to Japan.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Some of the newer compressed neoprene suits are really sweet as well. It really depends on the diver and the type of diving. I know a lot of old timers that swear by their old Poseidon Unisuits (thick neoprene dry suit). I personally dive a Tri-Lam and like it very much, it is nice because I can use it year round where I live.

Ace

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Hey all,

Yes, these are laminate suits. Pretty basic, but I only paid $100 apiece for them, including brand new neck seals. They are our first drysuits, and I'm sure they won't be the last. Gotta start somewhere, and for one lousy scuba-buck, I figure the suits were well worth it.

We're hitting the pool with a friend who has been diving dry for a few years next weekend, and the quarry in a couple of weeks. Wish us luck.

Mountain Dog
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

WOW, now that IS the scuba deal of the year!

We both know that they are not the best dry suits made, but they are still not bad. They are made by a reputable company and will get you started. Like I have said a million times before, once you go dry, you will never go back.

I know a bunch of divers with the next-gen suits and they work great for travel because of their weight and packability. Be careful around wrecks and sharp objects, but if you do get a puncture or tear they can be fixed fairly easily. You can also do some things to protect the dry suits. Some divers wear knee pads of some sort to protect the weakest spot. I have seen some divers get coveralls and actually wear them OVER their dry suits to prevent them from getting trashed on a wreck. That may be overkill, but some knee pads would not be.

All I know is that you WILL get your money out of them. In fact, if you don't like them, let me know and I will give you what you paid for them! ---Seriously.

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

I couldn't believe it myself. I wasn't even in the market for drysuits when I stumbled across the deal. Of course, as I mentioned earlier, I'm sure that this will be just the beginning of our "dry" equipment purchases.

But since LadyDog and I are from Michigan and Wisconsin respectively, we've always wanted to dive the Great Lakes wrecks back home. Now we can't wait to visit relatives this summer. "Hi, mom. Here's the grandkids. We're going diving. See you all in a few days"....

Thanks, everyone, for the tips on getting started. Ace, we have to hook up with you at Willow Springs this year. We'll be the ones in the matching Nex-Gen suits.

Mountain Dog
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Dog,

I am so excited for you both. I still can't believe how much better diving dry is and how much more I dive because of it. I have used it in pretty warm water with total comfort as well, just buy adjusting my insulation layer. In my opinion anything that requires more than a 3mm wetsuit, means dive it dry. I think you will be just as spoiled as soon as you get a few dives in with them.

There is a little learning curve with them, so take it easy for the first few dives. Be aware of the amount of air inside your suit at all times, but especially when changing depth!

As far as Willow, let me know as soon as you are ready! What are you doing this weekend? Want to freeze your nuts off?