Thread: Study Claims Sunscreen Killing Coral Reefs

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Quote Originally Posted by BamaCaveDiver View Post
    This is why I went into mathematics, fewer lay people who care enough to argue with you
    Bama, if there wasn't so much at steak and there were not so many with a political agenda I wouldn't even care!

I like a world where 2+2=4, but always remember 2.417934 + 2.48213 can = 5!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by BamaCaveDiver View Post
    This is why I went into mathematics, fewer lay people who care enough to argue with you
    Bama-

You just cracked my a** up. You are absolutely right. All you have to do is just start talking about simple quadratic equations and radical expressions and watch their eyes glaze over.

As for the study that is the basis of this thread, I find it very interesting. I haven't read the entire study yet, but what I have read contains a whole lot more facts than any of Papa Bear's posts.

As Swimmergrl says, it has been published for peer review. That's how it works. No one is saying that we should immediately ban all sunscreens. In and of itself, this study means very little. What it does is add to the knowledge base we can use in our stewardship of this planet. And make no mistake about this, unless we exercise diligent management of our environment, we will lose it. The earth will keep spinning to be sure, but will it continue to support sustainable, enjoyable human life? I would rather err on the side of caution here. There is no downside if I'm wrong.

Mountain Dog
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dog View Post
    Bama-

You just cracked my a** up. You are absolutely right. All you have to do is just start talking about simple quadratic equations and radical expressions and watch their eyes glaze over.

As for the study that is the basis of this thread, I find it very interesting. I haven't read the entire study yet, but what I have read contains a whole lot more facts than any of Papa Bear's posts.

As Swimmergrl says, it has been published for peer review. That's how it works. No one is saying that we should immediately ban all sunscreens. In and of itself, this study means very little. What it does is add to the knowledge base we can use in our stewardship of this planet. And make no mistake about this, unless we exercise diligent management of our environment, we will lose it. The earth will keep spinning to be sure, but will it continue to support sustainable, enjoyable human life? I would rather err on the side of caution here. There is no downside if I'm wrong.

Mountain Dog
    All I can say is Nuts! You give up your freedom! I wont go so easy!
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    Just a post note! Fish and whales urinate and defecate where they live! OOH!
    So we are all swimming in ****!

hbh, no radiologically active material are in the effluent of Nuke Plants! The bottom of the Ocean being closer to the mantel is a huge source of radio activity! It has been suggested that spent fuel rods encased in glass could be safely disposed of at the bottom under thousands of tons of pressure where the ambient background radiation is higher than the spent rods! But not PC! It is where science meets politics!
    I agree about the fish and whales but not about the power plant. There's a good reason why very very few new nuclear power plants have be put online. Unlike coal power plants each nuclear one is pretty different from the other ones. There is one (probably more in other places) in Hanford, Washington where radioactive material released from the reactor cooling water can measured in the ocean. It's been measured great distances from the plant following the ocean currents. Luck for us I haven't heard anything about San O. I did't think this was uncivil at all, were are expressing our views and sometimes(usually) it's aimed at the source. That's just a fact of life.

http://www.doh.wa.gov/hanford/public...y/release.html

Here's a site I found about it after a real quick search.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

hbh, the Hanford was 44 to 72 and a research facility. Still that is not the reason we have not built more! The reason is the left wingers who are anti-nuke for a number of their reasons and very few hold water! The cooling system systems for the plants are isolated and cross contamination is impossible! One of my friends just retired after being in charge of SO for years! I have dived at the Kelp bed at the out flow and it is healthy and all is good! If even a rad was escaping it would be all over the news! My friend who worked at the plant for 25 years received less radiation than a plane flight to New York! We are hit with radiation all the time! You too should read Dixie Lee Ray's Trashing the Planet and her follow up More Trashing the Planet!

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Pops seems to have caught the gist of my response, research can be a real cut throat endeavor. My favorite saying from my favorite professor years (and years) ago was "Be careful who you ask questions, they just might be able to answer them." As papabear said, grow a thick skin or you are going to be eaten alive by your colleagues and if it is a subject area that sparks compassion in the masses, watch out

BTW, my are of specialization was non-commutative algebras and quantum field theory, so 1+1 rarely equals two for me and there are very few in the world who can dispute my theories

When I get a chance I'll have to read those book. Just remember nothing is impossible. It could happen. Maybe Hanford wasn't a great example just because things have changed since back then, it's just a case that I remembered about. Personally I feel they are pretty safe, but if something goes wrong it's usually very bad unlike at a coal plant.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

More people have died in Ted Kennedy's car than all the Nuclear plants in the USA for as long as they have been in operation!

very funny But most left wing nuts don't care about how safe they've been in the US. Just look outside of the US and there has been HUGE impacts that nuclear power plants have created, and that's always their argument which has kept new nuclear plant from going on line for a long time. If I remember correctly it's been a little over twenty years since the last nuclear plant went online But I think another real major hurdle to cross is what to do with the spent cores. NO one want's them in their backyard nor in our beloved ocean.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast