Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Study Claims Sunscreen Killing Coral Reefs

Registered Users
    State
    Kansas

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    Really? They tell what windows in your house, what toilet, what car, what gas mixture, what is to be in your trash, how many dogs and cats you can have and even that they must be fixed, they tell you how much insulation, soon what kind of light bulb, and freedom is more than not being in prison! I could go on for days! Read my suggested reading then we will talk!

No over hunting, not in years! Not enough! No evidence that man isn't a part of nature and what we do maybe meant to happen? I don't buy the liberal "Man is evil" we fix more than we destroy if we can! Asbestos is a great example, the north American kind doesn't case any problems at all! It was like Global warming a fraud! The South African type is the problem type! Used only in navy ship yards! DDT, not a problem! Freon! not a problem! We invent problems so the solution can be sold!
    Papa Bear, have you read any information about Easter Island? Basically, they built a population up WAY over carrying capacity, and went from a highly cultured society to a group of people living in mud huts. I'm not saying we are separate from nature, I'm just point out that we are subject to its laws like any other ANIMAL. Yes, we are part of nature. If we kick nature, it has ways of kicking back. Overpopulation in the animal world "hurts" nature too, humans just do it on a larger scale. If humans over use their resources, there will be a shortage, then something causes a decrease in population, then it evens out. The problem is, humans are using too many resources. If we want to prevent catastrophic losses of human life, we need to pull back.

Why do you say DDT wasn't a problem? A chemical that can cause the possible extinction of every bird species by weakening their egg shells so much they break as they are being laid seems like a problem. It could even affect chicken egg productions with enough build up if it got in their water supply, or contaminated the feed. If you think eggs are expensive now, wait until the industry has to revert back to human labor because the machines are too rough. (It is an entirely mechanized process. A person might stop by every 1-2 days to double check on systems, but that is it.) I don't know if you've ever been in an industrial chicken coup, but they are the most depressing animal treatment places, next to veal production.

I never said over hunting was a problem now. In the days of market hunting, yes. That ended in the early 1900s. I wouldn't count that recent. Hunters used to shoot cannons filled with shot at flocks of birds. They would bring in 4,000+ birds a day by 1-2 hunters. Now that hunting is not as popular, wildlife managers are having trouble keeping some populations in check. This is leading to tons of damage (i.e- you are paying more in taxes to subsidize farmers for their losses.), and even the spread of disease.

I was contracted for a while by the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks to collect hunter kill and road kill deer samples to test for chronic wasting disease. Unfortunately, the funding for the program got cut by 45% by the state. CWD is interesting in that it is spread by prions, which are mutated proteins. They have the ability to lasts years in tissue and the environment. When ingested, they migrate towards cerebral tissue, and then change healthy proteins in the brain into more prions. There are lots of forms of it. It is BSE, or "mad cow" in cattle, and there are several forms in humans, one being CJD, or Creutzfeld-Jacob Disease. There is no cure, and it isn't the nicest death in the world. The biologists working on CWD think that prion diseases may be the next "big thing".

hbh2oguard- My university is one of the top leaders in animal disease study. If you've read The Hot Zone (VERY GOOD BOOK!), you'll have heard of Drs. Jerry and Nancy Jaax. They dealt with the Ebola outbreak in Washington D.C. They are on staff at the vet school now. When I was still pre-vet I went to a talk given by Dr. Jerry Jaax. He was closely monitoring avian influenza then, and that was 2 years ago. The numbers of infections have continued to grow, so I'm taking his and the other pathologist's lead on that. I'm still really interested in zoonotic diseases. I may go to vet school when I get done with my masters. Many of the diseases originate in Africa, so I would like to do some work over there. The current biosecurity lab at my university is only level 3, (anthrax, etc.), but we are bidding for a new level 4 biosecurity lab. I tried to get a job there, but it requires high level government access. Not really surprising.

Lots of interesting things going on in the world.

Rachel

I don't know where to start, but I'll start with this: Papa I'm sure you've dove PV so how can you say DDT isn't a problem? That's a local issue you should know about.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Quote Originally Posted by swimmergrl View Post
    Papa Bear, have you read any information about Easter Island? Basically, they built a population up WAY over carrying capacity, and went from a highly cultured society to a group of people living in mud huts. I'm not saying we are separate from nature, I'm just point out that we are subject to its laws like any other ANIMAL. Yes, we are part of nature. If we kick nature, it has ways of kicking back. Overpopulation in the animal world "hurts" nature too, humans just do it on a larger scale. If humans over use their resources, there will be a shortage, then something causes a decrease in population, then it evens out. The problem is, humans are using too many resources. If we want to prevent catastrophic losses of human life, we need to pull back.

Rachel
    Bad example! That's a limited environment that earth firsters bring up all the time! The Doom and Gloom crowed! Do you really want to be a part of that crowed? If we are using too many it will self correct, but we are no where near that point, not even close! It is said that this is why so many "Egghead" Greenies like it when we ban DDT! Because it promotes more human death! "Lightens the load" so to speak! Too many people put us last and "Earth First" and have no concept or faith! If we were gone, who would care? We bring all value to this world and it can't be the value that doesn't value LIFE!

There is NO proof that DDT caused eggs to be thin! You can't cite proof because it doesn't exist, just was a theory!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345