Thread: Ita Beach/Izu Pennisula

Default Ita Beach/Izu Pennisula

We've made a couple of trips to Ita Beach south of Cape Ose on the west coast of the Izu pennisula. From Yokosuka we spent around 1600 yen on tolls. 700 yen for parking. In the summer they charge 300 yen per diver. In the winter it's only parking. Only other costs will be gas which will vary depending on what you're driving. The drive (if you don't get lost) is between 3-4 hours from Yokosuka (south of Yokohama) We went right off the beach. There is a fairly substantial pier there and a local dive shop that runs dives and classes from there. We head down to the south end and enter the water there. We try to avoid getting in anyones way.

The entry is over rocks, but we only have to make our way about 20-30 feet before we're in the water. It drops off fairly quickly. Pretty nice fish life, lots of morays. I've even seen dragon morays both time I've been there. It drops down to over a 100 feet. Rocks, corals... vis has been good both times that I've been there, 50ft+. Water temp the end of September was mid 70's. Water temp first weekend in February was mid 50's. I wore a 3mm in September, a drysuit in February.

It makes for a nice day. If you get up early enough (and don't get lost ) you can drive down in the morning, get in 2 or 3 dives and be back by evening. It's a very scenic drive. You have good views of Mount Fuji usually from the west coast of Izu.

If you stay overnight, Izu is known for the many onsen (natural hot springs) which often have hotels associated with them..
    Last edited by Bill22; 02-23-2008 at 10:12 AM.

Default Photos....

Here are some photos...
    Attached Images Attached Images

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Keep this up and I am going to become jealous soon Really nice shots, thanks for sharing (I'll be jealous later, after I have had my fix )

Quote Originally Posted by BamaCaveDiver View Post
    Keep this up and I am going to become jealous soon Really nice shots, thanks for sharing (I'll be jealous later, after I have had my fix )
    Thanks! I'd like to go more often. The biggest problem I have is finding people to dive with. I tried in December and January to organize a trip to Izu. Finally got a couple of guys to go in February. Was going to try and go again this weekend, but everyone is busy. Can usually find someone to get in a morning dive on the weekends, but nobody wants to spend the whole day going to Izu. Hayama is a nice dive though and it keeps me from going into withdrawal

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

If I lived some place like that you would have problems getting me out of the water, not into it. We do have caves of a similar caliber here, but somehow its just not quite the same thrill.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaCaveDiver View Post
    If I lived some place like that you would have problems getting me out of the water, not into it. We do have caves of a similar caliber here, but somehow its just not quite the same thrill.
    I did some cavern diving back in the 80's in Florida after getting my PADI Cavern Diver cert. Did some limited penetrations diving some of the more popular caves. Peacock Springs, Orange Grove Sink, Blue Springs, Ginnie Springs, etc... I had planned on getting my cave certification, but just never got around to it. Not so easy to do here and I think not so many caves to dive. Probably won't ever do it now unless I end up back in Florida which is unlikely at this point.

I do enjoy the diving here... even though the water was 48F today

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

The caves I was referring to in this area were more of the dry variety. There are a number of sumps to dive, but that entails long treks hauling gear over rough terrain to endure zero vis in cold water (thank goodness it is usually a short swim between chambers); fun, but not too exciting until you break through to a spectacular room that no one else has ever seen before and few ever will. I love the water filled caves down in FL and Mexico, but am not getting down that way as often as I would prefer, so most diving the last couple of years has involved quarries and sumps and very cold water with little of interest to see.) Want to trade places?
    DeWayne aka Gobwats

The safest way to dive solo is to refuse to dive with an idiot.
    Dave Sutton

Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum
    - Ambrose Bierce (1906, Devil's Dictionary)

Default Copyright notice

Just a reminder that this report and ALL photographs are copyrighted by myself and are not to be copied or re-used in any form.
    Last edited by Bill22; 04-01-2008 at 11:18 AM.