Thread: Moalboal Trip Report (continuation of Malapascua Trip Report)

Hybrid View

Default Photo equipment, technique, etc...

For those who are interested, my camera is a Canon A630. This is basically a little $200, 8.0 megapixel, digital, point and shoot.

When I started diving again last year I looked into different systems. I decided that I couldn't afford what I really wanted yet, so I bought an Ikelite housing for the camera that I already had.

I considered a Canon housing, but decided to go with the Ikelite because I liked the extra safety margin that a housing that is good to 200 feet (when I'm never probably going to go that deep) gave me.

Additionally, I purchased an Ikelite DS125 Substrobe with a manual controller. This strobe I will be able to utilize with the system that I will eventually have.

I had a lot of experience in photography, but had never done any underwater photography before August of 2007. Digital is nice because you get instant feedback on your mistakes and trust me I've made plenty

My digital zoom is turned off. I normally have the camera set on manual and will manually white balance as I go. Sometimes I use the strobe and sometimes I don't.

I do have some software programs that allow me to make corrections once I've downloaded the originals onto my computer. I make a copy and then make all my corrections to it, keeping the original untouched. I liken this to when I used to do custom color printing. I'm taking the original image and making it as good as it can possibly be.

I'm planning on eventually moving to a Nikon D300. Before that I will probably purchase a second DS125 as I can incorporate that into my current setup. It's a lot of money, so its easier to break it up a little and work on my system a piece at a time .

Hope everyone enjoys the photos as much as I enjoyed making them

I forgot to mention that I also use Inon closeup and wide angle lenses. They're a standard 67mm thread and attach to the front port of my Ikelite housing

Country
    USA

Great report Bill....the D-300 seems to be destined to be the new higher end standard bearer for u/w photogs.
    SMN Publisher

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    Great report Bill....the D-300 seems to be destined to be the new higher end standard bearer for u/w photogs.
    Thanks I looked at a lot of different cameras and I kept coming back to the D300. I think it's going to do well for me... I could probably have already gotten it, but my savings needs to get built back up first. I could have the camera now if I hadn't done back to back dive trips to the Philippines and Guam, coupled with my drysuit and Christmas. Of course I want to make another trip this year too Priorities, priorities

Default Copyright Notice

Just a reminder that this report and ALL photographs are copyrighted by myself and are not to be copied are re-used in any form.