Thread: Malapascua Trip Report

Threaded View

Default Part 4 Nunez Shoal and Calangaman Island

These two spots represent what I felt was probably some of the best diving in the area. You have to hit it at the right time though. I made two trips there during my stay in Malapascua. Great visibility both times. The first trip on the first day I was there was probably a highlight to my entire stay in the Philippines.

Nunez Shoal and Calangaman Island are fairly near each other. We left around 10:30 AM as I recall (sorry I should have written the times down). Because of the distance, this is a two tank trip.

The sun was shining as we headed towards Nunez Shoal for the first dive. Near the beginning of the trip out we saw a pod of dolphins. That seemed like a good omen. Turned out to be the only dolphins I saw the whole time I was there, but thats okay:-) We were a group of about nine divers. One group from Europe, a family of four from Singapore, and myself.

I actually remember the moment when I was on my first dive that morning at Monad Shoal when I felt myself start to relax and get into the trip. It's something that I am starting to become aware of when I take my vacations. A moment when I feel myself begin to relax. This is why we take vacations to get away, to unwind, to relax, to enjoy. Not to say that I don't enjoy my life in Japan or my life in general, but it's really nice to get away :-)

As we aproached Nunez Shoal we took our cue from our guide and began suiting up. After we arrived the guide gave his brief and then we began approaching the bow of the boat two at a time to enter the water. One of the boatment would assist you with your tank. You would put on your fins and mask, stand up, take a step to the edge, and then step off into the water. Once everyone was in the water we descended together.

At 12:34 in the afternoon of my first day, I was making my second dive. I was immediately struck by how clear the water was. Visibility was over 60 feet. Perhaps after diving in Japan all summer where a good day would be 15-20 feet visibility had an effect, but I thought this was really cool. We descended to the bottom, a short swim and we were over the edge of the wall which dropped much deeper than we could see.

I was reminded right at the beginning how deceptive things can be when diving a wall. I rolled over on my back to shoot up at the other divers. Before I realized it I was below a 100 feet! I put a little air in my BC and kicked back up. My dive ended up averaging 56 feet... I have nothing against deep diving, if there is a reason, but it cuts into your bottom time to much :-))

There were lots of nice corals, good fish life, the usual assortment... Lionfish, emperors, wrasse, angelfish, sweetlips, parrotfish, etc.... A very enjoyable dive.

When getting back on the boat there is basically two procedures. You can hand your weights, up to the boat crew, then remove your BC/Tank and they will also take that. Then swim over to the ladder, hand up your fins, and then climb the ladder. The second way was to just go to the ladder, hand up your fins and then climb up while still wearing your tank.

I preferred the second method, especially if the water was rough. As I think I've already mentioned the weather was not always the best while I was there. We were still able to dive usually, but I found that keeping my mask on and my regulator in my mouth went a long way in preventing me from inhaling water while trying to ascend the ladder :-)) I also felt the extra weight made me more stable on the ladder as I climbed up. There was always someone from the boat crew there to assist as you came up the ladder.

After the first dive we proceeded to Calangaman Island where we anchored just off-shore. There were several fishing boats nearby. We watched as they pulled their nets in. Some people ate if they had brought a lunch, and others, went for a swim. If you want lunch, you have to make sure you make arrangements ahead. I think some people ordered their lunch through the dive shop and others just had the restaraunt at their hotel prepare one for them.

After about an hour and a half surface interval, we started gearing up again. Another brief, by our guide and repeated the procedure from earlier. My next dive started at 3:19 PM.

Again, great visibility, lots of different kinds of coral, fish life was good, and another nice wall dive.

After the dive we headed back, arriving around 6PM. I was told that it was to late for a night dive. I think there was a little confusion there. It wasn't to late for a night dive, but it was to late for the Mandarinfish. You have to be there at dusk to catch them. I let it go, it had been a long day.

My second trip to Nunez Shoal and Calangaman Island was a week later on October 31st. Was still good, but had to fight strong current on both dives getting over to the wall. Weather was also rougher that day. The group was larger and we had more guides that day.

I was working on my Rescue Diver course and we were going to work scenarios at the end of each dive. Saw a really nice flutefish, but didn't get any good pictures.

The strong current added perhaps a little more realism than I would have liked :-)) We came up a little earlier than the rest of the group. I had to work through unresponsive diver on the bottom and the surface a few times and then get them on the boat. Then I had to deal with first aid, CPR, etc...

In between while anchored in a sheltered spot near Calangaman Island we practiced over and over unresponsive diver on the surface. This required simulated rescue breathing while getting them to the boat and out of their gear. I spent pretty much the whole surface interval in the water practicing.

After we moved over to the other side of the island to start our dive. Found two really nice nudibranch's on the wall. Current was there, but not as strong as it had been at Nunez. At the end of the dive I practiced search techniques and then un-responsive diver on the bottom. Getting them to the surface, and to the boat. Playing out the scenario on the boat and what to do.

After getting everyone back on we headed back. I took off from the night dive, it had been a very long day starting at 5:30 AM when I went out to Monad (saw two Threshers that day). I had bookwork and knowledge reviews to work on, so I took a small break....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill22; 02-21-2008 at 07:42 PM.