Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello freedivers?

Default Hello freedivers?

Any other freedivers on here yet?

Just went freediving on the SE Florida coast Saturday, but it was rough as hell, so we ended up in the bay.

Still better than not getting wet.

Chad

Freediving more with spearfishing in mind, but hey freediving none the less. Thats 2 then

Chad, your new avatar rocks!

However you;'ve now created a dilema: With such a professional looking avatar one would expect from a high end graphics department, you may be conscripted to update the ScubaMagazine upper left logo.lol

Nice job!
    Last edited by Sarah; 01-19-2007 at 02:13 PM.

Registered Users

Count me in. I lived in the Keys for nine years and spearfished quite a bit there. Here in NC I freedive when conditions allow. If it's deep I'll use scuba and if it's really deep I'll tek dive.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post
    Chad, your new avatar rocks!

However you;'ve now created a dilema: With such a professional looking avatar one would expect from a high end graphics department, you may be conscripted to update the ScubaMagazine upper left logo.lol

Nice job!
    iDC,

Thanks, but I can't take credit for it... I borrowed it from a buddy, Robin Berg is Speargun Hunter's creator & producer.

http://www.beiproductions.com/home.htm

http://outdoorchannel.com/showinfo.c...esc&ShowID=654

BTW, your avatar is no slouch either!

CC
    Last edited by Chad; 01-21-2007 at 02:44 AM.

Hi Chad, freediver here, too! Really looking forward to continuing my training with PFI this April in Grand Cayman. It'll be a NICE change from OHIO...

Todd

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

I have been very interested in free diving since I was a kid. Where would one start in training to get better at it? Any suggestions, hints, tips on making improvements in depth and time spent underwater?

Registered Users

the only thing that helped me get better in freediving is to just keep on doing it. just free dive as much as you can that way your ears will get used to it. but one thing i learned from freedivers (that was taught differently when i took my scuba course) is to remove the snorkel from my mouth everytime i go down.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by aquashik View Post
    ...remove the snorkel from my mouth everytime i go down.

cheers!
    That's probably one of the most important tips you could get right there. The reason being, if you suffer a Shallow Water Blackout (SWB - You'll hear this term A LOT from freedivers), the snorkel left in your mouth leaves an open passage for water to enter directly into your lungs. Taking the snorkel out of your mouth increases your chances of surviving a SWB by triggering you mammalian reflexes to close off your air passage should you black out.

An excellent source for freediving information is a book written by Terry Maas, "Freedive!" http://www.amazon.com/Trident-FREEDI...sporting-goods

Make sure you dive with a buddy

Performance Freediving is a great course. I took it in 2003 and am considering going back again. It is ever evolving information and techniques from some of the most knowledgeable and talented freedivers in the world.

Chad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast