Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Hello freedivers?

Thread: Hello freedivers?

Hybrid View

Registered Users

the only thing that helped me get better in freediving is to just keep on doing it. just free dive as much as you can that way your ears will get used to it. but one thing i learned from freedivers (that was taught differently when i took my scuba course) is to remove the snorkel from my mouth everytime i go down.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by aquashik View Post
    ...remove the snorkel from my mouth everytime i go down.

cheers!
    That's probably one of the most important tips you could get right there. The reason being, if you suffer a Shallow Water Blackout (SWB - You'll hear this term A LOT from freedivers), the snorkel left in your mouth leaves an open passage for water to enter directly into your lungs. Taking the snorkel out of your mouth increases your chances of surviving a SWB by triggering you mammalian reflexes to close off your air passage should you black out.

An excellent source for freediving information is a book written by Terry Maas, "Freedive!" http://www.amazon.com/Trident-FREEDI...sporting-goods

Make sure you dive with a buddy

Performance Freediving is a great course. I took it in 2003 and am considering going back again. It is ever evolving information and techniques from some of the most knowledgeable and talented freedivers in the world.

Chad

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Practice on land. If you go for a jog hold your breath to train your body. Go for say 10 light poles then hold your breath till the 11th. Do that for a while and then increase it to every 9th pole. SLOWLY work you way up and then start going from say the 10th to the 12th pole holding your breath. Over time your body will learn to use less oxygen and use what it does better which will result in you going deeper and longer in the water. Time in the water helps too. Just what ever you do take it slow and steady and dont push yourself. Shallow water blackout wont kill you but your first breath underwater could.

Matt

dmay I live in Huntington so if you want to go bug hunting before the season closes give me an email

Yeah, I'll hit you up when this weather gets a little better.

sounds good

Diver / Poi Enthusiast santelmo's Avatar
    City
    Quezon City / Puerto Princesa
    State
    Manila
    Country
    Philippines

here in Palawan and other parts of the Philippines i've seen boatmen/ guides that have excellent free diving skills. they only use home made fins called as Padyak/ pamadyak (stomp/tread) it's made out of thick ordinary black rubber straps (like the one you get from hardware shops) and a piece of plywood shaped like a large plate. sometimes they use two but most of the time i see only one piece. they dive deep w/ no effort and stay underwater longer. they also use home made spear guns.... again just w/ rubber bands, wooden stick and a metal/ stainless spear... heck, even their goggles are made of wood, thick rubber bands and plain glass...

City
    Ft. Lauderdale
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

A reason to remove your snorkel while spearfishing is to get the air out of it.
    A dislodged air bubble can make noise, and big fish are smart...