Thread: Dir

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

The dive shop that I used to frequent when I was back in the UK had a significant GUE/DIR bias and many of my buddies dipped their toes into the 'dark side' and took DIR-Fundies.
    Having talked to/dived with many of them, and several others since, I have always been impressed with the skill component of the GUE philosophy. The emphasis on Bouyancy control and proper finning techniques coupled with the overarching emphasis on safety has lead me to attempt to incorporate many elements into my own diving.
    However, the fact is I cannot afford/be bothered to change my kit configuration to comply fully with the GUE ethos, plus, I cannot see my future diving plans going down the route of cave/ deep wreck penetration so I am quite happy with the system that i currently dive and as such I am content to sit on the sidelines and gently mock!

Most GUE trained divers that I have met have been lovely people, and fine divers, who are perfectly willing to dive with anybody. It is only on the Internet that i have ever come across the sort of 'evangelical' DIR newbie who will insist that "not using the entire DIR system means that you are an accident waiting to happen! ", these individuals are the sort who give GUE the bad rap and are usually slapped down pretty smartly by others who have vastly more experience/inwater time than them.

How many DIR divers does it take to change a lightbulb ?

Three! But it has to be the correct type of lightbulb
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

City
    Country life for me
    State
    HI
    Country
    USA

Please don't get me wrong. With the exception of divers who've come up through an AAUS sanctioned, Scripps Model, 100 hour training program (see Thal's Divie Stories) I've found DIR divers to be amongst the best trained divers out there. Sometimes they're a bit, well ... dogmatic, but an open minded GUE diver (and that's not always an oxymoron) is usually amongst the best the recreational world has to offer.
    Last edited by thalassamania; 02-14-2008 at 05:06 AM.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Chantelle View Post
    I understand that there are some people who do think they are "elitest." . . . There are those kind of people in any agency.

Wow, that is one of the MOST accurate statements I've seen posted in these forums!

Most people can appreciate a good joke and a little friendly ribbing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12