Thread: Diving in the UK?

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by littleleemur View Post
    Ace, did you read that? We need to organize a Wreck Safari this summer!
    The number of wrecks is listed in my "dive Sussex" book.

I think I may need an additional class or two for that
    What would a standard dive profile be like?
    That is a tricky question to answer. Most of the dives I do would involve a bit of accelerated deco. People do turn up and dive the same dives with a single + pony cylinder but due there being nothing to see between the wreck and the surface their bottom time is necessarily limited. Certainly in my part of the world everything is on the sea bed and with a long sloping shoreline (as opposed to drop offs etc) you need a boat.

I don't really have much idea of the situation in the coast easily (relatively) accesible from Harrogate. I would recommend you join a UK based forum as well as this and you will doubtless get information from local divers. I can recommend some UK forums if you are interested.

Finless,
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I realized I asked a rather broad question. I was just getting a little frustrated going thru various dive club pages & cross-referencing them to google maps and basically trying to figure out north-south & what to do. :P
    I would definitely recommend a forum to ask your questions. You will get a lot more diverse information from one source - I will PM you one specific site that I use.

Looks like I should take another course or two and really make it a diving trip. Thanks for your help.
    There may well be dive sites out of
    my area that aren't so deep but I guess, by definition, any wreck of any size is going to be in deeper water?

The West Country in particular has beautiful waters with generally excellent vis and, due to a rocky coastline, quite a few places for shore dives.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Rgds
    Bryan
    Last edited by Finless; 02-08-2008 at 10:39 AM.