Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should fin technique be required in OW/AOW?

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Just wanted to add that there are a few situations an OW or AOW diver could find themselves in, where bad technique could possibly lead to an accident:

A tropical vacation swim-thru (like those coral ones in Belize at 50ft). One of the group silting out the other divers behind them could lead to disorientation, snagging of gear ... possibly panic & all in a partial overhead environment.

A hollowed-out wreck swim-thru (essentially a novice dive) - same scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    well ya but I thought your rant was about improper finning techniques which reduced viz/ stirred up the silt/bottom comp. so going in first would help with that.
    At this point, I'm not even sure what I'm ranting about! :P Except that it has to do with people who should know how to fin but don't or don't care to! & all the subsequent problems it causes for anyone else. & then all that crankiness about when they should've learnt it and wondering if there's a nice way to hammer it into their heads at this late point in time....

Geez, I am cranky!

I think I will go attack the crunchy snacks now.
    Last edited by littleleemur; 02-07-2008 at 03:35 AM. Reason: typo

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

There has to be some amount of time spent on finning technique because without it new divers could experience injury, fatigue quicker and just be frustrated. And then mentioning the "why" factor, like impacting the environment and visibility, is stuff you should know from the beginning. You could probably dive without the knowledge, but it's going to be that much easier and more enjoyable of an experience for them if that time is taken right from the start. Just like how to put the fins on and take them off! I'm sure most people could accomplish it in some fashion on their own, but a few minutes of the instructor explaining how and why will just add so much more to the ease and enjoyment of their diving.

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

This must be why:

From another thread,

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    This brings us to Man-Law #31: If we don't talk about it, it will go way and become fine.
    & I agree with you. If only we all had good instructors.
    Last edited by littleleemur; 02-08-2008 at 03:45 AM. Reason: typo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12