Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should fin technique be required in OW/AOW?

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

Default Should fin technique be required in OW/AOW?

When we first learnt how to swim, we were all taught how to efficiently use our arms and legs to keep ourselves afloat and to get from point A to point B. As we improved, we learnt how to apply specific techniques in different situations. Now why isn't this taught in diving? Shouldn't finning techniques be taught right up there with donning/doffing gear in water?

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Proper finning technique is taught in the NAUI Scuba Diver curriculum.

Registered Users
    State
    Country
    Canada

Thanks Seasnake

Is it also part of PADI? Does every instructor teach finning techniques? I mean actually teach them, rather than telling the students the theory?

I guess this is part of a bigger rant about "experienced" divers who are so clueless about their surroundings in the water or are so selfish they don't care about silting everyone out. Just giving them the benefit of a doubt that "maybe" they were never shown how to do a frogkick involving correct positioning of fins and are too embarassed to ask....

I know that everything comes with practice, but I want to add that buoyancy is not just about keeping off the bottom, it is also about not bumping/scraping the top of your overhead environment as that also causes silt outs.

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

and here you bring up a painful subject....
    Fact:
    ALL dive agencies teach fining ni varios forms and styles, they go thrugh the basic ones.... its the lazy instructor that doesnt give a rats @@$ about it.

some do some do not.
    gets you mad sometimes.
    Last edited by Diverdaniel; 02-06-2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: had some french, had to translate :p

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

Diverdaniel has it exactly right. That's why it's so important to check out the instruction at a given place before you sign up.

My experience was great. Ladydog and I got our ow training in Aruba during the off season. As a result of that timing, we had four instructors beating on just the two of us for a full week. We got some serious training from those guys. We spent about half a day in the pool working on finning, and then put those techniques to work on two ocean dives that afternoon. All told, we spent around 20 hours in the pool and did 8 dives by the time the week was over. And if we weren't underwater, we were in the classroom. It was anything but a relaxing vacation, but we got great training for which I am grateful every time I step off a perfectly good boat.

We did the same thing for aow and nitrox - picked a traditionally slow vacation time, and went to Key Largo. Again, we were the only two students our instructor had for the week.

Small class size makes a big difference. The other thing we did was make our instructors aware that we were serious about getting the best education they had to offer. We challenged them to teach us well beyond a basic curriculum. When you let them know you are eager to learn and not just get the card, most instructors will step up to the plate. If they don't, go elsewhere.

Mountain Dog
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Registered Users
    State
    Country
    Canada

I guess the next question would be, do you think the quality of dive instruction suffers because of pure economics?

Pool rental is $$
    & therefore any remedial classes/smaller class sizes/ individual time with the instructors would cost the DS $/ limits the time spent of each subject area?

As for the "experienced" guys, what I don't understand is a certain reluctance to actually say & show what an appropriate frog kick + it's applicable variations are for the a particular site or training class. Just yelling at someone and saying "fin properly" or "do a bloody Frog Kick in the wreck" doesn't help. Is it too embarrassing for someone to ask, or teach technique at this stage? Then when should it be taught?

& for some who are preoccupied with lowering their SAC rate and extending their dive time, wouldn't proper finning techniques help immensely in that direction? Similar to swimming, when you want to improve your time, you go to Technique Clinic to make sure you got it right, and can be the most efficient in the water, then it's practice practice.

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

I'm not sure whether finning technique should be included in training or not - considering all the other stuff that the student has to learn in the OW, that's more that enough to be getting on with - maybe it shoudl be something that could/should/would be included in the Peak performance buoyancy speciality.

From my own experience, each time i've gone diving, i've watched what other divers are doing - their leg kicking methods etc and posting on here and other boards as well, and basically using trial and error to find out which technique is better for me.

With diving, along with any other activity that we do, each individual is different to the next and no one method is going to be the better/best type for everyone...it's down to each person's choice.

Just my tuppence worth.
    Lottie

Well why don't you just go in before them? Then you won't have to worry about their finnig technique.

Registered Users
    State
    Country
    Canada

I agree that OW has enough material to cover, but what about AOW? Shouldn't this be one of the core modules like Deep & Nav? Unfortunately not everyone is as observant as Lottie or as intuitive. There is a swimming requirement for OW to make sure that all OW divers are at a minimum standard in the water. I've had people tell me that they were "very good" swimmers & they were! Very good "doggie-style swimmers"

As for putting it in another optional class, is there anyone who would really sign up for, pay for and actually admit that they needed "remedial" classes? Wouldn't it be better to make it an official part of the curriculum so that is has to be done?!

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    Well why don't you just go in before them? Then you won't have to worry about their finnig technique.
    It's not so much about going in first, as it is about getting back out. Just going in is the easy part no skills necessary there! But going in in such a way that you can easily get back out - that would be the wreck/cave course. It's about safety not about who's got the prettier fin kick.

well ya but I thought your rant was about improper finning techniques which reduced viz/ stirred up the silt/bottom comp. so going in first would help with that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast