Thread: United to charge $25 for 2nd checked bag!!

Default United to charge $25 for 2nd checked bag!!

United Adds $25 Fee for 2nd Bag
    Monday February 4, 1:05 pm ET
    United to Charge Non-Frequent Fliers $25 to Check 2nd Suitcase

CHICAGO (AP) -- United Airlines will begin charging passengers $25 to check in a second piece of luggage for domestic travel if they are not part of its most-frequent-flier programs, the airline said Monday.

The charge will generate more than $100 million in revenue and cost savings each year, UAL Corp. said. The change takes effect May 5 and applies to tickets purchased on or after Monday.

Travelers would have to log at least 25,000 miles in a year on United to ensure they can check their second bag for free.

Airlines want to charge more for not only checked baggage but assigned seats and other services. Investors have urged airlines to pass on the higher costs of fuel to passengers through ticket-price increases or similar surcharges.

United's customer research showed a quarter of its customers check a second bag, Chief Revenue Officer John Tague said in a statement. The new policy will allow customers with many bags to continue bringing them for a fee and "enables us to offer competitive fares to everyone," Tague said.

Customers who have "Premier" status or higher within United's Mileage Plus program, or "Silver" status or higher within its Star Alliance program still will be able to check in a second bag for free. The new charge applies to those who purchase nonrefundable domestic economy tickets.

United will charge all customers $100 per bag for up to four additional bags. Previous charges ranged from $85 to $125 per bag. The cost to check items that require special handling because they are large, overweight or fragile will now be either $100 or $200, depending on the item.

New fees apply to trips within the U.S. and or those that include Canada, San Juan, Puerto Rico and St. Thomas. Customers whose itineraries include other international flights still will be able to check the second bag for free. The cost to check more than two bags, or items that are overweight or require special handling, on such trips will vary by destination.

UAL shares fell $2.38, or 5.8 percent, to $38.76 in morning trading.

Registered Users
    State
    Suffering from Nitrogen Withdrawal
    Country
    Canada

FYI to get Premier Status, you would need 2 round-trip economy-class tickets to Asia from N. America or/ approximately 10/12 NY-LA roundtrip tickets.

I'm not sure if the miles transfered from your credit card count towards it though.

City
    Yarrow
    State
    British Columbia
    Country
    Canada

Well, I used to fly alot with United. I guess that will change. $25.00 will not break the bank but this will open the floodgates for more and more extra charges. I guess will have to leave BC at home and just take the reg, computer in the carry on- or will they charge for that too...

Quote Originally Posted by littleleemur View Post
    FYI to get Premier Status, you would need 2 round-trip economy-class tickets to Asia from N. America or/ approximately 10/12 NY-LA roundtrip tickets.

I'm not sure if the miles transfered from your credit card count towards it though.
    That's a lot of flying unless you fly on a regular basis for work.

Country
    USA

Well, if you fly United, you better be prepared to resort to my 100lbs carry-on strategy guide

Registered Users
    City
    Charles Town
    State
    West Virginia
    Country
    USA

My fear is that if United is successful in making this permanent, all the other carriers will follow the lead. The days of free transport of luggage may be coming to a close.

Mountain Dog
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dog View Post
    My fear is that if United is successful in making this permanent, all the other carriers will follow the lead. The days of free transport of luggage may be coming to a close.

Mountain Dog
    Too late, I think they are all jumping on that bandwagon. There must have been some new regulation that allows them to charge. I know Spirit is charging for ALL bags except carry on. So now we are going to have to all get those 100lb carry on bags.

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Too late, I think they are all jumping on that bandwagon. There must have been some new regulation that allows them to charge. I know Spirit is charging for ALL bags except carry on. So now we are going to have to all get those 100lb carry on bags.
    Who can work some magic with those numbers to make it even better 200,300.......????????