Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scuba.com...a total EMBARRASSMENT!

Registered Users
    City
    Raleigh
    State
    North Carolina
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by lars2923 View Post
    I just returned from Largo yesterday. I am told the weather has been less than optimal for like a month and this past weekend it was Oh Kay..
    It was OK.. Saturday it was nice.. Sea calmed down in the afternoon
    so my chumming was kept to a minimum...
    Sunday, weather was not so good.. Seas picked up, cloudy, rained on
    the way back in, current picked up, etc..
    Water temp is around 72 degrees. a 5mm will do, with a hood...
    I wore a dry suit and a hood and I was comfy..
    Just telling you what I went through this weekend down there...
    Have fun...
    Lars, Thanks a lot for the update on the weather situation. I'm hoping it gets better. I had heard through this and other boards that Florida diving might be a little tough in February. I was planning to wear a 6.5 mm shortie (no hood). Any other suggestions would be great. Who did you dive with?

Thanks again!
    Frankie W
    DiveCon/AOW- SSI
    Raleigh, NC

"Jeez, I crack myself up!"

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

You need a full suit in Feb like a 5/7mm or 7/7mm nothing less that 5mm with hood! It will be high sixties to low seventies! A hood will help you stay warm! Ocean Divers in Largo are good and Hall's Dive Center in Marathon are good! It can be windy and cool in Feb. Have a great dive!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    You need a full suit in Feb like a 5/7mm or 7/7mm nothing less that 5mm with hood! It will be high sixties to low seventies! A hood will help you stay warm! Ocean Divers in Largo are good and Hall's Dive Center in Marathon are good! It can be windy and cool in Feb. Have a great dive!
    I get that depends on the individual. I was diving last week in Ft. Lauderdale, I was wearing a 3mm full suit and was only a little chilly. I think a 3mm hood would have done the trick. I would have been really nice in a 5mm (but not the double thick farmer john type). Anything thicker and I think I would have been WAY overheated. A little warm is ok, just unzip a little, but with a full john type suit that can be a bit of a hassle. I also don't like the feeling like a heavy suit like that. Anything colder than 5mm can handle and I am going dry.

Now there were a few divers on the boat that day with only 2-3 mm shorty suits on and they said they were fine. By the way the water temp was in the low 70's. It must be warmer in the Keys???

City
    Country life for me
    State
    HI
    Country
    USA

I dive a full 3mil with a 3mil hood in the keys in the winter and just a skin in the summer. I find that quite comfortable, but everyone's different.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

The interesting thing is you go to fiji and all the "Dive Boys" wear 7mm suits! If your spending a lot of time in the water it is better to be warm and comfortable than to wish you were!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Well I had quite the opposite expierence. If you're on the west coast they are the way to go. I recieved my order in two days, and that was with the free shipping! Everything I ordered was a little less than leisurepro and I recieved my package a lot faster since it wasn't coming from the east coast. To top it off, my order came with a few fortune cookies, they were broken but had a scuba fortune. Any company will have mad customers but I'd give scuba.com a shot! I actually forgot about this post before I ordered a few days ago and was a little worried but there were NO problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12